Monday, August 21, 2023

Moody Monday: Complicated and Intense


I was not sure if this photo was in color, or monochrome, then I noticed the blue numbers in the three round disks, the only color in the complex angles, shadow and light.  As I recall the numbers are LED, generated at random, so the pattern is ever changing.  Kind of like life, and my moods. 

Work picked up late in the week, and the next 2-4 weeks will be intense. I have seven presentations between now and the end of October, and most of the preparation for those needs to be done in the next 2-3 weeks.  One of them, no one seems to know what we are doing, it is a complicated situation, a panel with several experts, and it is late summer and people are out of town, and less than a month before the program date. It will come together, but it is intense.  

I am moving forward with planning a major conference for next May. The conference will be in Miami, I will be in France.  It is complicated.  I am a bit intense on conference planning, in some ways being able to plan and host a national conference has been one of the highlights of the past 10 years, it is also a process that can push me close to the edge.  I get to get this one kick-started and then leave it in the hands of others.  I know it will be in good hands, but it will be intense to hand off the complicated planning process.  And ultimately a relief.  

I am noticing the shortening of daylight, the sun is not waking me at 6:00 AM, I have slept later several mornings.  I was thinking by the time I retire, we will be in the short daylight days of winter, my least favorite time of the year to go to the office.  I dislike leaving for work in the dark, and getting home at the end of the day in the dark. I wonder how it will feel not going to the office at a time of the year when I find it hardest to do so?  Complicated thoughts, I hope it is not intense. 

I had an ah-ha moment recently.  I find myself being optimistic, but seldom filled with joy.  Sorting that out is complicated.  I am not angry, or fearful, or depressed, but not filled with laughter and enjoyment. My good times, are just sort of okay. Human beings are complicated.  

 

 

16 comments:

  1. Boy you got that right. Human beings are complicated!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I once thought men were simple beings, hahahahahahahah

      Delete
  2. Oh, yes, human beings are complicated! I hope you're filled with joy again soon. Work intensity makes that difficult. So exciting that you’ll be in Miami, France. Is that anywhere near Paris?

    ReplyDelete
  3. How will it all carry on without you, your intensity and your attention to detail?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe it will all collapse the day I leave.

      Delete
  4. That's an awesome photo. Good luck over the next month!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a great time in the Denver Art Museum, an interesting building.

      Delete
  5. As I say quite often, "I don't like people."
    Hopefully the joy seeps back in as these next few weeks pass.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As the hamster says, "you're not people."

      Delete
  6. You are so right in saying that humans are complicated. Your retirement is getting closer! Sorry that you have to do a race to the finish line. You work schedule sounds very busy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From now through the end of October.

      Delete
  7. It's funny you should mention the morning light. I noticed it this last weekend too. It sort of startled to me. The time of temperatures going down but less daylight to enjoy them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cooler temps and longer walks on the horizon

      Delete
  8. The time before retirement is complicated and intense. You're looking forward to the future but working in the present and it's like mixing water and oil. Make that vinegar and oil and you're on your way to a good salad dressing! You will find joy...deep breaths during this busy time and give yourself some compassion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am wound a bit too tight sometimes.

      Delete