Monday, August 07, 2023

Moody Monday: Denver August 2023


I had a different moody Monday post set to post, but this is brewing and needs to be put on paper (well e-paper.) 

I am spending a few days at the Embassy Suites hotel in Denver for work.  A nice hotel, the extra large room has been nice for a 6 night stay. The photo above is the breakfast room in the lobby of the hotel.  A nice breakfast, though a little monotonous, the same selection every day.  

The thing that struck me as I sat there on Sunday morning was the 5 televisions. I was going to pose a rhetorical question about the need for five televisions at breakfast, but I will skip to a statement of my mood. We don't need television, let alone five of them, displaying the worries of the world over breakfast. Maybe some of what ails us, is information overload and five televisions for breakfast is a part of that.  Breakfast is a time to talk, to think, to start the day, and NOTHING that was playing on any of those five screens was a good way to start your day.  

The boyfriend of a friend tried to commit suicide yesterday. They had an argument, and he emptied the medicine cabinet. I get angry at people who commit suicide or try to, it appears that said friend will survive.  I have never forgiven Tony Bourdain for offing himself, a talented writer, chef, who ended it all with no explanation. We had forgiven his transgressions, and would have supported his beautiful mind through the rapids in his path. How selfish to think death was the only way forward.  There are others I am angry at for ending it all.  As Doc Spo once described it, it is often a permanent solution to a temporary problem.  

Some good mood. 

ABA Media Affairs selected half a dozen projects to be featured in media for the ABA Annual Meeting, one of them was one of my projects, finished last summer, and starting to influence change.  

There were ongoing sidebar conversations at meetings about my impending retirement, and repeated pleas for me to continue to do parts of what I do.  

    A: It is good to hear people say that something you do makes a difference. 

    B: The parts of my work, people like, are parts that I enjoy - and hope to continue as a hobby.  

    C: They kept complimenting my writing, and saying that I helped to bring sanity and understanding to issues.  Enough to make my head swell.  
 

This has been a long solo trip, I am headed home on Tuesday. 

14 comments:

  1. I will never understand why there has to be a TV or a form of entertainment every single place we go? It drives me insane. I completely agree about suicide. It is only a permanent solution to a usually, when you look back on things is the temporary solution to a small problem in the scheme of things. I can't understand how anybody can go through with it.

    On a side note I love the bra strap sticking out of that one woman shirt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A real fashion statement, I was going to make a snide remark.

      Delete
  2. TV news is often unsuitable for children and I imagine there maybe some at times at breakfast. Otherwise one tv without volume and subtitles on could be ok. But if there is a tv on, my eyes are always drawn to it.

    People who attempt or succeed at suicide are mentally unwell and it is a medical matter. I can't imagine being so low to do that and so I don't walk in their shoes. Doc Spo's words really hit the nail on the head.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have one "news" channel that is not suitable for adults - not really news just angry political opinion,

      Delete
  3. I don't like TVs in places like that. Seriously, give me a moment of peace. You might have adjusted that woman's bra strap before taking the picture. As for suicide: That depth of pain is impossible to grasp if you're not the one experiencing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We really need to improve access to and remove the stigma of mental health care. Treat the pain like we do other pain. I will never forgive Nancy Reagan for her just say no, just be stronger, approach to mental health.

      Delete
  4. Yeah, put those TVs on a sports channel or something!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally agree about the TV's. In fact, I try to avoid restaurants that have TV's hanging everywhere. Of course, that's hard to do when you are staying at a hotel. Congrats on the good work. It always feels good to be appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sat with them to my back this morning

      Delete
  6. You will still make a difference after your retirement and it will be on your own terms. You could consult and figure out the number of hours you CHOOSE to work. A whole new world awaits you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wonder if anyone actual watch the TV in eating or drink establishments.
    I work with people who tried to end there lives. It very sad.
    Coffee is on , and stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  8. In past times, there were never any televisions in English pubs. but now they are quite common - causing unwelcome distraction. Sometimes you just don't want that non-stop chatter threatening to take over your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete