Friday, August 25, 2023

Fabulous Friday: Denver Art Museum Indigenous Collection part 2



 
This is another work by Kent Monkman’s titled Shame and Prejudice: A Story of Resilience. I don't have the details on this one, but again it is a huge in-your-face painting, and it should be.  It shows the kidnapping of native children to be sent to boarding schools where all were abused, and many died.  The schools had a mission of eradicating the native cultures, it was cultural genocide, and it happened in Canada and the United States.  Many of the schools were operated by church missionaries, more interested in converts than education. It is a sad, dark chapter in our history.  One we need to learn about, lest we repeat the sins of the past. 

Again I applaud the Denver Art Museum for recognizing the value in this work, and in this political climate, having the guts to exhibit this moving and important work of art.  We really can't tell the story of indigenous peoples, without recognizing atrocities of European invasion and conquest.  

Thank you Denver for being fabulous

18 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree more I applaud them also, especially in this climate with so many wanting to erase everything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keep history from repeating itself

      Delete
  2. It is a good work. The same happened here but I understand it was only half bloods who were abducted and taken to missionaries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had not heard of it happening in Australia

      Delete
  3. In this era of erasure, the exhibit is even more meaningful. Incredible work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder what De-inSantis would think?

      Delete
  4. When I was a kid, we always learned that the "Indians" were the bad guys. Once I started teaching American History, and did my research, I discovered that it was quite the opposite. I always made sure that I included the "shoved under the rug" facts when I taught.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The hidden story. Have you read the logs from Columbus's voyages?

      Delete
    2. I have. And I included them when I taught the age of exploration.

      Delete
    3. The world needs more teachers like you.

      Delete
    4. Thank you. I have retired now, but throughout my career I was never afraid to tackle controversial subjects.

      Delete
  5. My father enlightened me a couple of years ago about these so-called schools. It sickens me what we did, and still do, to people who look, act, worship or love "different."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The survivors are telling their stories

      Delete
  6. One of Kent Monkman's most famous paintings, a residential schools punch in the gut to all Canadians and our iconic RCMP.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The same happened on both sides of the border

      Delete
  7. That was a truly horrific time in our history. What a remarkable painting by a remarkable artist. The Heard Museum here has a whole section on the Indian Schools and what happened during that period. It always feels like a punch in the gut every time I visit that section.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need more time in Phoenix, next trip.

      Delete
  8. Somehow the children being dragged away don't seem like native Americans. They look more like modern day kids. I suspect that that is deliberate. The USA and Canada should be proud of their native American heritage and yet even today there's a sense of blotting it all out.

    ReplyDelete