Thursday, August 24, 2023

The Thursday Ramble: The Joys of Age


My birthday is late this month, a milestone year for me.  There have been a few times when I wondered if I would make it this far, and I have.  Odds are if I have lived this long, I will live another 18 years or so.  Half live that long, half don't.  I won't bet on beating the odds.  Something I read recently talked about life expectancy, and good health expectancy.  Most people live 6 to 8 years longer than they remain in good health.  Some dread the changes in health, rage against the storm trying to push sands of time back up through the hourglass.  It seldom works, and you can paint over the face as much as you want, but in the end it is still your face.   

I hope to embrace the joys of age, the joys of change. 

I move slower than I did.  Still too fast for my sweet bear, but slower.  I am more likely to stop and smell the roses, or sit for a minute. When I move more slowly I see, hear, feel and smell things that I wouldn't when I rushed past.  Finding new joys in familiar places as my body slows down.  

My hearing is fading.  Less distraction, less noise, fewer things that irritate me.  My oldest brother bought expensive hearing aids that bluetoothed to his phone, very high tech. The last time I had dinner with him, he wasn't wearing them.  I asked, and he said, "I decided I was happier not hearing all of the chatter. I can hear what I want and not all of the background noise." 

Death is nearer. I know when I have a chance to do something, I need to do it now.  We think we are invincible, and we are not. As we reach the age when our contemporaries are dying off, know it could be us next.  Do it now, there may not be a later.  We regret more the things we could have done and didn't, than the things we tried and didn't go the way we had hoped.  

The little shit matters less.  The slights, insults, and inconveniences that rattled my cage when I was younger, are easier to ignore, in the big picture, most of it does not matter in the end.  

I have a lifetime of learning, all coming together. A common lament is if I had known then, what I know now.  Well now I know, and I can enjoy it.  I should have a few more good years of thinking. 

Our lives are a collection of stories, after all of these years, I have a lot more stories than I did before.  A lifetime of stories that are easily triggered.  

These are a few, I will keep thinking on the joys.  Fear not old age, not all are privileged to enjoy it.  



21 comments:

  1. You are feeling mortal and so am I. Old age is not physically good and in spite of all the knowledge we have in our brains, no young person is really interested. I accept that. I fear for my future without my partner, and fear for his without me but someone one day is going to be very pissed off that the other is not there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. With age, also comes wisdom, which you have in spades.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your words "if I had known then, what I know now..." Reminds me of Bob Seger's "Against the WInd."
    My mom had a little sign in her kitchen, "Yesterday is history, Tomorrow is a mystery, Today is a gift. That's why we call it the present." Enjoy today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I needed that, it has been a rough morning.

      Delete
  4. Aging is a process, isn't it? It creeps up on you and then violà! I look in the mirror and think, "That's me?" Your post was great. Very thoughtful words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have earned every wrinkle and scar.

      Delete
  5. I like this post and I agree with it. This year so far, three friends of mine have died. It does make one think more about death.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. P.S. That's a great photo of you! Let me guess, it was taken at the Blue Lagoon in Iceland?

      Delete
    2. My high school classmates keep dying. And yes, the Blue Lagoon, with an underwater camera.

      Delete
  6. I have thought sadly many times about the loss of the stamina I used to have. But, I've learned to enjoy what I do have. I might not be able to climb mountains any longer but I can still enjoy the view ahead of me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And the view is often wonderful

      Delete
  7. May you stay forever young (I'm singing).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hell....I never thought I'd make it to the big 5-0!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Life is like toilet paper, the closer you get the end, the faster it seems to spin by. 60 will be here before you know it.

      Delete
  9. I choose to age as gracefully as possible, and accept the limitations that come with aging. I am consciously moving slower, being more careful and mindful, and trying to let as much roll off my back as possible. I want to stay relatively "healthy" (move every day, eat a few less nasty chips, take my vitamins) but I want to enjoy life on my terms, and that means eating and drinking what I want doing what I want, going where I want, or just staying home. Whatever feels right for me at the time and judgment be damned. I don't look back on my life wistfully and long for a return to any time before now. I reflect on the fun I've had, adventures I've had, the people I've met, the men I've loved, the friends that we're a huge part of my life. And yes, I reflect on my younger thinner me at times and glad I had that time in that body. But my life is wonderful, and my future looks pretty good, even if I'm now looking at it through stronger glasses, and walking towards it with a slower gait. And I hope to have a community of friends to age with, reminisce with, laugh at our dwindling faculties with, and enjoy being old, retired, and tired together. A good book is made up of many chapters. And while we may not like every page, sentence, or thought, without any of them, the book would be incomplete. It's all part of the story. Aging and declining is part of ours. I want to see how the story ends.

    Hugs.

    Sassybear
    https://idleeyesandadormy.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What tales will be captured in the next few chapters.

      Delete
  10. This is a delightful photo; one of the best ones I've seen of you.

    ReplyDelete