Wednesday, August 30, 2023

My World of Wonders aka The Wednesday Ws August 30th Edition


Where have I been?  Home, the office, the gym, out to lunch in Old Town Alexandria. For the most part staying in out of the heat. 

Who have I seen? The usual, the team at the office, my sweet bear, a few neighbors in passing. 

What made me smile? The inmate number in Fulton County, Georgia. 

What was good this week? A great article published by a friend, that I was able to get some political traction with.  A couple of favorable responses on a major project I am working on.  

What was frustrating this week?  Editing.  An article that was factually flawed and more of a sales pitch than a resource.  The least you can do is get the facts straight.  Another editing project that a lot of effort has gone into, that no one read through before they sent it on for a final review - that won't be the final review.  A chapter written by someone who had limited knowledge - and needed to be rewritten.  Get the facts straight people.  

What made people laugh?  I was in meeting in a conference room with views of the atrium at the office, and I made a remark about "death eaters circling in the atrium sucking all of the joy out of the room." Everyone laughed, and we moved on from a sticking point.  

Why would I say, "probably my last visit to Walt Disney World?  Disney creates an idealized artificial world, a fantasy world. A great way to glimpse what main street USA might look like, or the west, or a downscale Eiffel Tower.  I have seen the real thing, I plan to continue exploring the real places, the real adventures.  

Who have I talked with?  A couple of old friends, my office team, my sweet bear, a professor who wrote a great article for us the same day.  

Who deserves a slap? The spammers who keep posting links in my comments for travel agencies. I delete them, report them a spam. If they want to advertise on my blog, they can - Google will be glad to sell them space.  I am getting 5-10 a day.  Five slaps out of five. 

What am I reading? The Mechanic - about F-1, and a Jimmy Buffett novel - it is long and will take a couple of weeks to finish.  

What am I watching?  We have a local PBS station that runs British programing. Secret Dealers - a show where antiques dealers go through homes, leaving sealed bid on contents, then compete with one another in open bidding.  It is fun, and on at time that when we are settling in after dinner.  Also Celebrity Antiques Road Trip, kind of a reboot of Bargain Hunt, on this one celebrities buy at retail and try to sell at auction for a profit.  

Milestones of my Week?  I started the paperwork for a pension, and registering with Social Security. 

What is the artwork above? A window in the Denver Art Museum with a transparent shade on it. 

Who done it?  The plane crash in Russia, I doubt they will ever prove who arranged it.  


What was on the River when we went to lunch on Sunday?  A rather large boat, it rents for $255,000 a week plus expenses. 

https://www.yachtcharterfleet.com/luxury-charter-yacht-24326/impromptu.htm 


14 comments:

  1. The overcrowding in Fulton Prison appalls me but it is quickly overlooked by the thought of could be locked up there in the future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure we could fine an innocent person or two to let out, so they have room for one more.

      Delete
  2. I had a colleague at UC San Diego. Well-educated. In a senior position. She told me that since she went to Epcot every year, she had seen the world and didn't need to leave the country.

    Is that boat your first vacation after retirement?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The last time I was at the "World Showcase" I kept thinking I have seen the real thing, and this is not it. The boat for May is about 6 times the size of this one.

      Delete
  3. We all know Putin did. I mean how many of his enemies have quick, unexplained falls or car crashes and plane crashes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I agree with Bob. I think Putin was behind it for sure. Maybe some Russian oligarch rents out the boat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The boat is someone with more money that they know what to do with.

      Delete
  5. All blog spammers should be rounded up and shipped to Ukraine to fight against the Russians.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is quite a boat! I think everyone knows that Putin is responsible. It was only a matter of time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "What made me smile? The inmate number in Fulton County, Georgia."

    Here! Here!

    Sassybear
    https://idleeyesandadormy.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. just need to have him move in permanently

      Delete