Monday, August 28, 2023

Moody Monday: Theme Songs


My sweet bear pointed out, that I am now a Senior Citizen, whatever that means.  I started working in the field of aging, in my late 30's, and I have aged into the age bracket for my services.

To be eligible for services paid for by the Older Americans Act, a person needs to be aged 60 or older.  I have been there for a few years. At least part of my work, has been paid for by the Older Americans Act since 1998. 

AARP, used to be the American Association of Retired Persons, but now it is just AARP.  The joke was that AARP no longer stands for anything, but reality is that they decided if they took retired out of their title, they could attract more members.  If any person in the household is aged 50 the entire household is eligible for membership.  And let me assure you they don't verify age, just that the credit card works.  

When I went to graduate school in my mid-30's I discovered the joys of student discounts, I would eagerly pull out my student ID, I got into more than one museum that way.  Now it is senior discounts.   Some places it is pensioners discounts, I filed to start payments on a pension over the weekend.  (Payments won't start until the first of the year.) I will ask for my senior discounts. 

Many years ago I asked a wise man (my boss at the time) how to define aging.  His answer was simple, if you have been born, and you are not dead yet, you are aging.  

I am thinking about playing this song, Frank Sinatra "My Way," and Jimmy Buffet's "Last Mango in Paris," in my office every morning for the rest of the year.  My theme songs

14 comments:

  1. No AARP here and haven't received anything either. Probably because I still look late 30's, and mentally still in my 30's!!!!! I probably heard I'd stab them if they dare sent any literature, lol!!!!!

    My theme song? Most likely Henry Mancini's Loose Caboose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AARP didn't delay a minute when we turned 50. Kind of pissed us off... and made us laugh.

      Delete
    2. Maddie - I have connections at AARP/

      Delete
    3. Mitchell, I learned that buying someone an AARP membership for their 50th birthday, is not a good idea.

      Delete
    4. Oh please don't trouble yourself dear, you have enough on your plate as it is! LMAO!!!!!!

      Delete
  2. At sixty here we can get a non means tested Seniors Card if we are not working full time. No one takes notice of that qualification. The main benefit is discounted public transport but there are private business discounts too. Many more benefits come after the age of 67 and you are retired and receive a proper pension.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to stop by the transit offices, and get my half price card for the Metro system.

      Delete
  3. At the age of 50, a good friend of ours was struggling with getting old. She got over it quickly when we were on a road trip and the motel offered a seniors discount to anyone over 50.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad to have lived this long,

      Delete
  4. Four months to go Mr Penguin! Don't blow it... like a marathon runner who collapses within sight of the finishing post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will hold my tongue when needed. It isn't easy some days.

      Delete
  5. I remember when AARP first contacted me about membership. I was shocked because I wasn't even 50 at that time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am surprised they even have an age marker anymore.

      Delete
  6. I was robbed of my own AARP induction because I was made a member when Jeffrey signed up. Oh, the humanity!

    ReplyDelete