Thursday, September 19, 2024

Thursday Ramble: Brave Turning Point Choices

 


A dear friend is struggling a bit with anxiety and making choices to move forward. It is a difficult time, my friend has professional help, the right choices will be made in time. This got me to thinking about some of the choices I have made over the past 50 years, not the ones I regret, but the choices that were brave turning points for me to be where I am today, difficult but good choices. 

The first two involve my time working in the home building industry in central Florida.  The first one was taking the plunge and moving to Orlando to work for Laurel Homes in 1980.  I was going into the unknown.  The second was walking away from Centex in mid 1991, my personal life was a mess and the stress of 70 hour work weeks on a project that I didn't understand or like, was driving me over the edge. It was a choice that gave me time to rethink my personal life, and change directions. Even if I did make a bit less money for a few years.  

Then the choice four years later to sell out in Orlando and move to Lexington, Kentucky with the Sweet Bear (SB.)  He had a great job to go to, I had dreams for the future that included going back for a graduate degree. I choose to follow love and opportunity. That led to a job, that led to a job that required one of the bravest turning point choices, the decision to move to Washington DC.  

We were settled in Lexington. We owned a nice home, SB had a great job, I am licensed to practice law there.  I was terribly underpaid, working 60-70 hours a week, and an opportunity came up to double my income, work fewer hours, and concentrate on parts of my work that I most enjoyed. But it required setting up a second home, and bravely getting in the car and driving away.  It was an emotional trip across West Virginia. 

Looking back I am so glad I made those choices.  They were not easy at the time.  I questioned if I had the bravery to make the choices, but somehow I did.  I don't think about what would have happened if I had not.  There is a whole other category of choices I could have made and didn't.  These are the choices I did make, and I am so glad I did, they led me to where I am today, and I like it here.    

11 comments:

  1. I admire how you live your life. I made (and make) those moves and choices easily. But I think it’s because I’ve usually been running away from something (and mostly in my head) believing a new place, a new job, even a new career, would be better. You always seem to have run toward something! And it’s served you well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And leaving behind a miserable job, is a major step forward.

      Delete
  2. If we don't makes choices....we never move ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know a few people like that.

      Delete
  3. Change is hard to do.
    I call it Shake The Etch-a-Sketch. The last time I did it was back in 2008 and it was the right move.
    https://ishouldbelaughing.blogspot.com/2008/12/shake-etch-sketch.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Without clicking the link, I bet it is meeting Carlos. Checked the link, a good choice.

      Delete
  4. The courage to choose change for the better makes all the difference! I applaud you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My biggest change was asking for a divorce after 33 years of marriage and it was a terrific change for me. I have never regretted it at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A brave move, to seek happiness. We all deserve happiness.

      Delete
  6. I have had several turning points in my life and I've always been happy with the decisions I've made. I've gone through 4 different major changes and each time, I've bounced back with even better opportunities. I think the key was remaining positive even when faced with a major challenge.

    ReplyDelete