Monday, September 02, 2024

Monday Moods: Sometimes I Need A Recharge Day



There are times when life wears us down, kind of like our phones, there are times when we just need a recharge.  Most days, a good nights sleep, or a quiet afternoon nap will do it.  Some days, that just isn't enough.  Dear departed Cousin Bill said the worst part of retirement was that he never got a day off.  We need to give ourselves permission to take a day off from time to time.  Free ourselves from the duties and chores. And do whatever charges our batteries, or restores our faith in humanity.  

Back in the go-go days of the 1980's I discovered Britcoms, BBC sitcoms, on the local Public Broadcasting Station on Friday evenings.  It was a couple of hours of Are You Being Served, To the Manor Born, Waiting for God, Open All Hours and The Good Neighbors (The Good Life in Britain.)   Sadly, as the programs have become dated, most were produced the 1970s and 1980s, and PBS has stopped showing them in the USA for the most part.  I have all of them on DVD.  Last Friday afternoon was spent laying on my bed binge watching the first two seasons of Waiting for God, being reminded how to age ungracefully and enjoy every moment of it.   


19 comments:

  1. I love those Britcoms, and that electrifying photo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The BBC had some brilliant writers.

      Delete
  2. Shame we can't just plug ourselves in to a recharging point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A day in bed usually does the job.

      Delete
  3. Waiting for God and Last of the Summer Wine or among two of my favorites. Luckily in Pennsylvania they still rerun many of these shows. But when I lived in Bucks County every Friday Saturday and Sunday they ran many of these shows in blocks beginning at 7pm right into the late of night....ending with many of the mystery shows like inspector Morris, Rosemary and Thyme, midsummer Summer murders, and Rumpole of the Bailey. Harrisburg reruns many of these and ones you mention but not as heavily as the Philly market. Last night ours ran a marathon as Time Goes By.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Last of the Summer Wine is another great one. I don't own a copy of that one.

      Delete
  4. We used to watch a few of those and always laughed; Are You Being Served Was A Favorite.
    And there's nothing wrong with a sort of do-nothing day; it IS a recharge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have had a lot more do nothing days this year, and it is wonderful.

      Delete
  5. Everyone needs those do nothing days! I usually read on my recharge days. I love lots of the BBC shows on my PBS station but I've never seen those comedies you mention. I enjoy the mysteries.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a crazy cool photo, man.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoyed that clip. I think my favorite British sitcom was "As Time Goes By" with Judy Dench in the lead. I've watched those over and over and they still play them on my local PBS station.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It seems I have to have those days more often than before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Slowing down, helps us see more of what we see.

      Delete
  9. I've never seen that show. I'll look it up as it looks amusing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I remember them all except the one you watched. But as soon as I saw Stephanie Cole, I remembered it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes the show names are changed when broadcast in different countries.

      Delete