Friday, September 13, 2024

100 Ways to Slightly Improve Your Travel Experience: #23 Picking the Right Cruise for You


I suspect that many people who say they would never go on a cruise, either have never been on one, or the Cruise they hated was poorly selected for them. 

Before you look at price, think about what you want out of a cruise.

Some ships are family destinations, some are more like quiet resorts. Virgin cruise line and Viking are adults only. Do you want endless hours roasting in the sun, or would cooler weather be more your style. Think about where you might want to visit. The itinerary does not matter if you are thinking of the cruise as a slightly mobile party, it does matter is you are taking the cruise to see places you want to visit.  Also look at the time in Port, this can range from just a few hours, to overnights, seldom more than a day. Our first cruise was built around riding the Yukon and White Pass Railway, if the itinerary didn't include that option, I didn't consider that cruise.  

Size matters, smaller ships often visit smaller ports that large ships can't, and because there are fewer people on board you stand a better chance of "getting to know" people (perish the thought.) Large ships are generally more stable, are limited to larger ports, and can be crowded when 2,000 people all want to get off at the same time.  

Think about the cabin choice.  We have sailed inside - quiet, dark, great for sleeping.  Ocean view, you can see but not feel the outside from the cabin (maybe a good option if you fear falling overboard.) Balcony or veranda, gives you a "private" outdoor space to watch the waves. Being stingy we have not tried a suite. Ship cabins are small, 170-200 sq. ft.. The layouts differ a little from ship to ship and line to line.  The balcony was nice, but we probably spent more time on the promenade deck than we did on the balcony.  Ocean view, I wouldn't do again.  I have booked a balcony for next springs' cruise.  

Food will vary.  Some lines serve simple, less expensive, higher volume food.  Some focus on higher quality.  What is important to you? 

Think about amenities, if you plan to ride every waterslide around, having waterslides on board is important.  If not, what is important to you, and what does each ship offer. 

Cruising can be a great value, when you consider the cost of accomodation, meals and transportation it can be a very economical way to travel. 

If you are only looking for an escape, with meals and housekeeping, booking a cheap cruise may work for you.  If you are looking for an experience beyond the most basic, buy what you want, and don't let price be the only deciding factor.  

 

16 comments:

  1. I have never been and have no desire. I can't take the size of these ships. If I ever did a cruise, it would be a river cruise line. More intimate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. An old high school friend is on a River Cruise at the moment.

      Delete
  2. Sorry David, I am not in the least bit interested in cruises. In fact I find the idea quite appalling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cruises are not for everyone.

      Delete
  3. I think you covered cruises well. I won't be cruising again but if I did, it would be an upmarket one with pretty well everything included. It is all very well having great shows on a ship, but not if you have to queue for an our to ensure you get a seat. Having done three cruises, one a river cruise which was the best, I would now know what to check for in sea cruises and river cruises.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For next spring, I booked a nicer, new ship, that included much more.

      Delete
  4. Cruises are not for me but you did explain it well for those that might want to take a cruise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cruises need to be chosen carefully

      Delete
  5. The best cruise for me is no cruise at all. I tried it once and that was enough. I don't like being confined to one place. My friends I traveled with loved it. I didn't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am easily amused, and could always find something to fill my day.

      Delete
  6. I've only ever been on one cruise, to French Polynesia. It was a very small ship (350-ish passengers) because big cruise ships can't get in to the islands. We had a balcony and enjoyed the sense of space it gave us.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haven't been on a cruise yet. I have a fantasy of taking the 16 day round trip from San Francisco to the Hawaiian islands. This would serve two purposes 1) try out cruising and 2) get a small taste of each island so that I can plan a proper trip to Hawaii. The danger of course is that if I really don't like cruising, I'll be on the ship for just over two weeks.

    Will Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 16 days is a long cruise, maybe cruise one way and fly the other?

      Delete
  8. More options than I ever realized.
    Thanks for the tips ... if we ever decide to go on a cruise.

    ReplyDelete