Saturday, January 28, 2023

The Saturday Morning Post: NSO


One of the perks of living in a real city, is having access to world class cultural entertainment.  The Kennedy Center for the Performing arts is about a 20 minute ride from home.  It is home to the National Symphony Orchestra.  We started going in 2018 or 2019, buying tickets for 6 to 10 performances per year.  

Our favorite seats are on the side, overlooking the stage, all the way at the front of the theater if we can, I love that end seat looking down on the musicians. 

The Kennedy Center has several theaters, symphony hall is our regular haunt.  We have seen shows in a couple of other venues, they are all nice, fun.  The style is very much mid-century - last century.  Parts of it are in need of an update.  But it is our venue. 

I have a favorite performer, an oboist, with strawberry blond hair, that for a long time was tied up in a top-knot.  He had his hair cut.  Disappointing, but he can still play well

Parking is plentiful, if a little expensive.  Unfortunately the nearest subway station is a complicated walk, and uphill in both directions. So we always drive. I even drive at night.   

For one of the shows later this spring, we have seats in one of the boxes overlooking the stage.  I think of them as the Lincoln Boxes, when you visit Ford's Theater you will see that was the location of the box the Lincoln's were in that fateful night. Good thing no one if out to get me. 


 

13 comments:

  1. Uphill walk to the venue from the subway and an uphill walk from the venue to the subway. The departure platform is much higher than the arrival platform? It is nice to get some culcha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It feels like there is a mountain in between the two

      Delete
  2. I remember the Kennedy Center fondly. We never went to Symphony, but just about anything else. We used to taxi there from Georgetown.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just because you don't know they're out to get you doesn't mean they're not. 😘

    ReplyDelete
  4. PS: My hair's a fright.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I move slowly, if they wanted to get me they would have caught me by now.

      Delete
  5. Nothing like a night out at the symphony!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have fond memories of seeing a show at the Kennedy Center way back in the 90's. I was in DC by myself and I asked the hotel concierge if I could get tickets to a performance somewhere in the city. He suggested the Kennedy Center and a performance of Beauty and the Beast. I remember being so excited to go to the Kennedy Center.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fortunate fellows to have such things near by and good for you to go !

    ReplyDelete
  8. 1: How far from where you were born, do you live today? I'm about 10 miles from Hospital I was born in.

    2: Would you move back to your "hometown?" I'm already here.

    3: Did you choose to live where you live, or did love or opportunity land you there? Neither.

    4: Are you where you would like to spend the next decade? No. The reason is this area lack culture. I'm and a few other is working trying to bring it here.

    ReplyDelete