Friday, January 27, 2023

Foodie Friday: Yorkshire Puddings


Yorkshire pudding, the food item not the Blogger, are pretty easy to make.  Milk, flour, eggs, a little salt, hot fat or oil, in a very hot oven.  Alchemy of simple ingredients that make something amazing.  There are great online recipes.  

I first made them a couple of years ago, using muffin pans.  The recipe adapted for American cooks specified them.  And they work.  But, there is something better.  I read something in a blog about a Yorkshire Pudding pan or mould. I looked online and sure enough I can buy such a thing. Rather expensive here in a country where they are a rare imported kitchen item (like $16 USD for one.) The openings are much larger, and much shallower, and the result is amazing. The flatter wider pan allows the rising batter to bloom, to open up, yielding a much larger custardy center.  Really a surprising difference.  The other tip I picked up was to mix the batter ahead of time, an hour or two, and let it set so the flour fully hydrates.  Above you can see some in each pan style, made from the same batter in the same oven at the same time.  The difference is a proper Yorkshire Pudding Pan. I need to buy another one. 

Have you had them? 

Do you make them?  

13 comments:

  1. Yes, I don't think blogger YP would be easy to make. I've had them in England, both home made and with a Sunday roast. They are ok but they don't excite me. I believe they were invented as a cheap stomach filler.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES!!!!! Roast Beef and Yorkshire Pudding is usually for Christmas Day Dinner and I often make it two more times in the winter at some point. I don't know why people think they are so intimidating to make? Although, my recipe I used, instead of the hot oil , I use the beef drippings from when the beef is just about done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Christmas been roast was rather lean

      Delete
  3. I LOVE Yorkshire pudding! Do I MAKE them? Is that a joke?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you start posting about cooking complex meals, we will know you are being held hostage.

      Delete
  4. This past Christmas as a last minute thought, my nephew made Yorkshire pudding in a cast iron skillet. Yep, one big YP. To serve, he cut it in wedges. It was good but not a proper Yorkshire pudding. It had one big curled edge so you didn't get the "crust" in every bite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only time my English-grandmother ever made it, was in a sheet pan, and of course I couldn't see anything "pudding" about it.

      Delete
  5. When I was a little girl, one of my aunties used to make delicious YP with roast beef -- what an awesome treat it was! I've never made YP myself since I've never made homemade roast beef and gravy (got to get around to doing that). But I do make Dutch Baby pancakes, which are VERY similar in both ingredients and end result. That batter must "rest" too before baking in a hot skillet and butter. A Dutch Baby is eaten with freshly squeezed lemon juice and powdered sugar -- sinful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't had them in quite a while but I do love them. On one of my trips to London I had a Sunday roast at a friend's house and I loved the Yorkshire puddings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never had an English Sunday roast.

      Delete
  7. This item is long time on my culinary Bucket List to someday try.

    ReplyDelete