Monday, January 16, 2023

Moody Monday - Regrets?

Other bloggers posts often inspire, me get me to thinking, serve as the inspiration for a post.  Yorkshire Pudding did a post recently asking if there was a rewind button on your life and you could go back and change something in your past, what would you change?  My answer was nothing, because who I am today, is a result of everything I have done, and I am not sure I want to change who I am, for who I might have been. 

This got me to thinking.  I have made some mistakes in my life.  I have hurt a few people in my life.  I have made decisions that I regret.  Early on I entered into a business arrangement, that essentially put me out of business as a photographer. Later I turned down a job offer from a builder, a friend of mine took that job and made 5 times what I did. I married in my early 20s, to the wrong person, for all the wrong reasons. When I left Florida I didn't tell my grandmother that I was leaving and unlikely to return. I allowed a friend of mine to manipulate and hurt people including me (until I decided NEVER AGAIN.)   

So, regrets, yes I have a few (but then again too few to mention (Frank Sinatra.)  Some of them haunt me. 

So why would I not want to go back and change those choices? 

Part of it is those choices resulted in my being who I am where I am.  And I am fairly happy with that. 

Still some of the choices haunt me, and that is a good thing.  Those bad choices, remind me to try to make better choices today.  Without those reminders, I would make worse choices today.  They are lessons learned.  Most of my lessons learned in life are positive, and those help me make more good choices, but also the negative lessons learned help me make better choices today.  

The mistakes of my past make me a better person today by reminding me to not repeat the mistakes of the past.  

So that is my deep moody thought over the last week.  


 

14 comments:

  1. I have to agree, I wouldn't go back and change anything in my life either. Otherwise, it may change other good things in my life currently.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I made a similar comment on YP's post. It is only in the moment of now when we think we are perfect. We will continue to make mistakes, but hopefully not major ones, especially those that hurt other people.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sure, there are things I would have done differently in hindsight. And I may wonder “what if” but everything I've done has gotten me here. Had I changed one thing, I may never have met SG or any of the other people I love. So, what the hell. As Sondheim wrote: “I chose and my world was shaken. So what? The choice may have been mistaken. The choosing was not.” I keep moving on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Until someone invents a time machine, what's done is done. All we can do is learn from our mistakes and move on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trying hard not to make the same mistakes

      Delete
  5. Deep thoughts today. I have a few regrets also but I wouldn't want to change anything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deep moody thoughts some days.

      Delete
  6. I've sometimes regretted ever being born. I get over it. The wowzie, wowzie woo moments don't outnumber the hot diggety dog moments anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are so glad you are a part of our world! You bring a lot of hot diggety dog to our lives.

      Delete
  7. I have regrets but changing them might change me and I'm pretty cool with myself today. Now, did I learn from my regrets? Hell, yes I did, and that's a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We probably make better choices today

      Delete