Saturday, January 21, 2023

Saturday Morning Post: From Where We Were to Where We Are

I have said, that for me "where are you from" can be one of the most complicated questions for me to answer.  I was born in Michigan, in a place few people have heard of, slightly beyond the bounds of civilization.  On a funny farm, that my father and grandfather ran. 

When I was in the first grade, my family lived in Phoenix Arizona for a few months, some of my earliest vivid memories are from Phoenix.  When I visit there it feels like home. 

When I was in the 8th grade my family started spending winters in Florida, the first winter on the Gulf coast, after that the east coast near the space center.  Those winters in Florida changed my life, changed me as a person.  I discovered that there is a big world outside of the 80 acres I grew up on.  I discovered adventures, and opportunities that are only available outside my comfort zone. 

When I finished high school the economy in Michigan was in shambles, there were signs up saying, "would the last person to leave Michigan please remember to turn off the lights."  My parents had already bought the house they would retire to and die in, in Florida, and that fall I wrapped up, left Michigan, flicking that light switch on my way out.  

Within a couple of years, I realized I had left Michigan for good.  I had no desire to return, and actually developed a deep dislike of the place.  Having seen the bigger world, I realized how limiting the isolation of the farm was.  

After a couple of years, I ran into a friend at McDonalds one morning, who introduced me to a friend, who referred me to a friend, who offered me my first real job outside of my family, and I moved to Orlando for opportunities.  I lived there for 15 years. 

Then my Sweet Bear was offered an opportunity, and I was ready for change, so we were off to Lexington, Kentucky.  Graduate school followed, and a decade of work.  

Then opportunity and adventures lured me to the Washington DC area. I wanted to live in the DC area, and looked for the job that made that possible.  

I loathe the place I was born and raised,  Phoenix where we only lived for a few months feels more like home. Florida was home for nearly 20 years, until it wasn't.  Kentucky was a place of opportunities, but not a place either of us ever wanted to live.  It served us well, we wouldn't be where we are today without the opportunities, but it was never home, never where we were from.  

After 14 years living in northern Virginia and working in Washington DC, I still get lost two miles from home.  It is home, but does it feel like where I am from? It feels like where I am.  

You see, the answer to where am I from is more complicated than where I am.   

Where are you from? 
 

21 comments:

  1. Mine became complicated in my 20s but still not simple before then. It's a bit easier to say now, since all they really care about is what country... Then, when they found out the US, the fun begins.

    ReplyDelete
  2. After some ten generations firmly established within three countryside parishes, my parents moved into a town in the 1960’s. I left the region in the 1990s and then the country altogether. No, not going back until (and if) I get buried in the family cemetery. But it is nice to have roots to push away from. Just like you, I know where I came from.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My father's family has lots of moves, my mothers family we know less about

      Delete
  3. I'm technically "from" Mississippi. I have lived many different places, and I am "from" none of them.
    I sometimes tell people I have lived in South Carolina my whole life, and they say, "You don't sound like it."
    I respond, "That's because I graduated from the 5th grade."
    And when I do rattle off the spots where I've lived, someone will ask how I ended up in Camden, and I rply, "Witness protection. Ssssshhhhh!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, no wonder you have wanderlust and boogie shoes! I consider myself being from San Diego. Born, raised, married and had children there. Never lived outside of California. No desire to.
    I'm usually asked what I am ethnically rather than where I'm from. Very interesting guesses there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. California is a rather nice place, all the better with you there

      Delete
  5. This reminds me of the famous poem by George Ella Lyon called "Where I'm From." There's a template for writers to produce their own personal versions, the link to which I included in a past post containing my own rendition of "Where I'm From." Give the template a try, if you want! It's fun --

    https://shewhoseeks.blogspot.com/2011/09/where-im-from.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm from Cleveland (and proud of it!). Home is Northern Virginia (NoVa/DC), like my Sweetie, the first place I've lived where I really wanted to live.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Replies
    1. You moved out a long time ago.

      Delete
  8. I was born and raised in Quincy Illinois. I moved to a small town in Arizona in 1965 for about 6 months then back to Quincy for another five years and then moved to Phoenix permanently in 1970. I've been here ever since and seen lots and lots of changes. Many more changes than have happened in Quincy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Phoenix changes everytime I come here

      Delete
  9. P.S. I love the "crazy dog" sign.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My dad was born in Jackson Michigan. But grew up near Dowagiac. And came out west when he was young.
    I was born in Bonners Ferry Idaho, and grew up in Spokane Valley Washington. Now I'm back in Bonners Ferry Idaho.
    Not a very excitting life.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I lived nearly all my life in SE Michigan, with a brief time in Chicago - which is Midwest. So that is home. Although I've lived in AZ since 2005 it doesn't feel like home.

    ReplyDelete