Tuesday, May 31, 2022

Travel Tuesday - Subways


 The first subway system I rode was the London Tube system back in 1990.  A very old system, my great grandfather worked on the tunnels before moving to the United States before World War I.  I fell in love with being able to get near to everyplace I wanted to be in the city, quickly and inexpensively.  

A few months later we went to Paris, another amazing system. My traveling companion was not as enthusiastic as I was, it was nearly the last gasp of that relationship.  

Then came the Washington DC system, the sunway one of the reasons DC was on my short list of places we wanted to live. We live a 10 minute walk to from nearest station. 

Chicago was next, the CTA Blue line is the best way to get from O'Hare airport into downtown Chicago, and the system will take you around the city with amazing efficiency.  

San Francisco, the SF system is a little more complex and I wish it covered more of the city, but it is amazing.  Unless it is the middle of the night, it is fastest way from the airport into the city.  I landed in San Francisco near midnight one night, took a taxi into the city - 100 miles an hour in a Prius, a wild ride.  

Philadelphia has a good system, actually two or three that don't play well with one another.  A hard system to figure out, but a good system. 

Portland has a nice line from the airport into the city, as does Seattle.  

Los Angeles has a limited system, nice newer, modern.  I rode it from West Hollywood to Union Station to go to the home of the French Dip Sandwich.  

Toronto has a nice system, I have used it a couple of times.  

The photo above is the entry to the Hudson Yard Station on the 7 Line in New York City, it reminded me of the entrances to the London Tube.  

12 comments:

  1. I love riding metro systems. My favorite way to travel around a city.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For a city like DC or NY driving is impossible most of the time

      Delete
  2. Anonymous5/31/2022

    London's Tube is an easy and great way to get around but often involves lots of walking and stairs. New York's Subway is also very efficient but in common with The Tube, they can be pretty rugged systems and some not so nice stations. At least NYC has air con trains.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NYC and London are working on "accessible stations" but slowly

      Delete
  3. All the years I lived in Philly....I was on the subway once. And I don't even remember it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I kept buying tickets for the wrong service

      Delete
  4. I love subways and metros. Great people watching.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The first subway I ever rode was in Montreal and then in Toronto, when I was 21.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I see 'subway' and I think sandwiches.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this type of transportation. I wish we had it here.

    ReplyDelete