Tuesday, May 24, 2022

Travel Tuesday - Athens


 I mentioned recently, that memory is a fickle thing.  We met friends in Athens about 15 years ago.  Kent and Carole had been there on a sabbatical assignment for most of a year.  They were our tour guides for several days in Athens, and out into the Greek countryside.  We had lunch with Kent last month in New York.  He said if he could get away he would go back to Greece for a vacation.  I said what a wonderful time we had there.  He asked "what did you see?"  I reminded him that he had been our tour guide, that he had driven fearlessly through the villages where cars passed centimeters apart.  He seemed to remember.  He has been to Greece dozens of times, he has helped countless people explore the history that Greece holds.  It was understandable, but sadly worrying that he didn't remember us meeting up with him there.     

17 comments:

  1. I wouldn’t worry (but then I don’t know Kent). We’re embarrassed when we don’t remember a visit we had with friends years ago. The brain just gets full sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous5/24/2022

    I would have cried and wailed, you don't remember us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Then they would worry about me

      Delete
  3. I imagine all those visits, and all those tour guide moments, blurred together over the years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He knows the country like the back of his hand

      Delete
  4. What amazes me is how old some of the landmarks are and that their still barely standing. My half-sister married a Greek. They used to go back yearly, but haven't been after it got turbulent there for a while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was a while when it was incredibly cheap to travel there

      Delete
  5. My husband has such a memory of hotels where we've stayed, restaurants where we've dined, and will say, "Do you remember...? We were there with so and so..." and many times I have no recollection. We remember different types of experiences.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have kept a hotel log for almost 20 years, it helps

      Delete
  6. It's weird what we remember and what we don't.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That would worry me too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We notice the differences as we age

      Delete
  8. I so would like to see Athens. When I go I plan to keep a journal of everything I see and encounter so years later I will remember

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad we were able to do that trip, so much history,

      Delete
  9. We are not memorable people. Nobody ever remembers us, even if we've met many times, or been to the same restaurant over and over. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete