Wednesday, May 18, 2022

The Way We Were Wednesday - The Air and the Land


I have mentioned before that I grew up around airports and small airplanes, my father's hobby.  I know this was taken in Michigan, probably in Lapeer County, but I am not sure what town it is.  The wing tip in the bottom right, I was probably in the back seat, a low wing aircraft, most likely a Piper, it might have been a Mooney - the two that were most available at the time and place.  

Michigan was surveyed in straight lines, main road ran north-south, east-west, most often at one-mile intervals.  There are corrections for the curvature of the earth every few miles. Some variation based on trails before the survey, or to skirt around natural obstacles. Each square mile is 640 acres - divided in quarters - then divided in half for 80 acre standard farms. One-half mile, by one-quarter of a mile is 80 acres.  Most the land descriptions start with section, township and range, then quarter, then half quarter.  There are 43,560 sq. ft. in an acre - I learned that for an exam in 1978 and it has stuck with me. 

The farm I was raised on had an anomaly, one border was a creek bed.  A factor that was important when my father sold the last of the farm.  He was paid a premium by the adjoining land owner who feared a fight over the property line. 

My growing up is firmly rooted the land, in the layout of the countryside, and in seeing it from the air.    

11 comments:

  1. What incredible experiences to have had.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I spent a lot of afternoons exploring with no one around

      Delete
  2. Anonymous5/18/2022

    I find it interesting that Michigan was surveyed with straight lines. That appeals to my sense of orderliness and balance. I vaguely know where most US states are on a map, but I need to check Michigan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The hand shaped state surrounded by huge lakes

      Delete
  3. Nothing like seeing the land from high up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love aerial views -- gives a real overview!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If my health was better I might learn to fly

      Delete
  5. It looks a lot like where I grew up in Illinois.

    ReplyDelete