Friday, May 27, 2022

Fabulous Friday - Seljalmdsfoss



The women sitting in my row on the plane back from Iceland (the middle seat was empty!) said, "there are 200 named waterfalls in Iceland, and in past two weeks she thought she had seen all 700 of them." Seriously there are probably 10,000 waterfalls in Iceland, and about 200 of them are named.  At one point I stopped to take a photo of a bay, and when I opened the car door I could hear water running down the cliff face behind me. I turned and there it was, no name, no sign, just spectacular.   

This one is noteworthy for two reasons, the height, and you can, if you are prepared to get drenched, walk behind it.  It is about 2.5 hours drive east of Reykjavik on Iceland 1.  Just before you get to this there is a turn off that goes to a ferry, take that turn, it is a 15 minute drive to one of the most spectacular black-sand beaches in the world.  I didn't have a waterproof coat with me, though I did have a waterproof camera in the car.   We didn't walk around behind, but we did some great photos.  I took a photo of a sweet couple from Spain with his Nikon D40.  Neat! 

17 comments:

  1. Gorgeous photo! Black sand beaches are so cool to see.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. It is a place filled with ah and wonder

      Delete
  3. Anonymous5/27/2022

    I say me ol' china, it appears water is spurting out of your head. Best see the doc.

    PS, I liked the woman's comment that she had seen all 700 of the 200 named waterfalls. I wonder if it is like when on tour in Europe and ABC, Another Bloody Church.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She had been on a two week adventure trip,

      Delete
  4. The comment by the woman on the plane made me laugh out loud!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love that, and I 'd love to walk behind it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Replies
    1. I almost drove by, the signage was not very helpful

      Delete
  7. you look as if you are being baptized

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We need to take raincoats the next time

      Delete
  8. ok this is weird I 've left comments on your past 6 entries yet no comments exist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Google gods are being unfriendly

      Delete
    2. I am relived the blogger gods have changed their minds.

      Delete
  9. Don't go chasing waterfalls :-)

    ReplyDelete