Monday, May 30, 2022

Music Monday: Memorial Day "Peace Train" featuring Yusuf / Cat Stevens



I always revert to the American Military Cemetery in Normandy when I think about the sacrifice of war.  Every world leader should spend a day every month visiting cemeteries to remind them of the toll of war. 

This is especially poignant this year Putin's ongoing war in Ukraine. I had another post scheduled, and with all of the horrors in the world today, I just can't. The sacrifice of the young must end.  There is no glory in the loss of the future. 

14 comments:

  1. I agree with you on this. We ALL should walk in these cemeteries once in a while. And remember them. It's appalling how many are treat and swept under the carpet when they return. That we have homeless veterans, blows my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish all it took for men like Putin to find to grow souls would be a walk in a military cemetery. Cat Stevens has been singing that beautiful song for too many years with no results.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous5/30/2022

    The repercussions for the average Russian person will be long lasting and I feel bad for those who don't support Putin in any way. As most wars are, it bad for all average citizens of the invaded country and the invaders.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And deep down, the average person just wants safety and comfort.

      Delete
  4. The madness of war never ends because human greed never ends.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always loved that song.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Now I've been crying lately,
    Thinkin' about the world as it is..."
    But I still have hope and I always will.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think of my ancestor Kiffen now buried in France for his service in WWI. I think of Private Elderkin, a chance encounter I had with a veteran whose memory I cherish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was surprised in Normandy by the number of families that come to visit. Locals that deliver flowers.

      Delete
  8. So many people have given their lives to fight for the liberty of themselves and of others. When will it all end?

    ReplyDelete