Thursday, May 26, 2022

Thursday Ramble - The Reentry










The French refer to returning to work after a vacation / holiday /break as reentry.  I can only describe my reentry as brutal. That first week back work was 50+ hours, including a couple of hours on Saturday morning.  Lots of looming deadlines, people changing their minds, and a little great news, my department budget is within 7% of being fully funded through the date that I could retire. And we are making progress on that.  A couple of new projects in the next few months, and I can pass the funding and budget work off to the next generation.  

Summer is settling in, the trees are so green they are almost black.  Local strawberries that taste like the strawberries we raised on the farm when I was a kid are in season.  Heavenly! 

In the center of Reykjavik, on top of a hill, is a brutalist masterpiece church.  I understand it is cast in place concrete. There is an elevator that goes to the clock level, and a couple of flights from there to the belfry, with openings to the air just below the top.  Well worth the 1,200 krona per person to go up (about $8.70 US.)  They don't take American Express. The bells chime every 15 minutes.  

Credit cards in Iceland.  Iceland is a nearly cashless society.  I think I only saw one sign that had a minimum sale for a credit or debit card.  They use mostly touchless cards.  The European standard is a pin and chip card.  Those are rare in the USA.  I have two of them.  Gas stations are often unattended, and only take pin and chip cards, so if you are renting a car, it really helps to have one.  One of mine worked, the other one didn't.  I called both of them before we left to verify that they would work and to let them know when and where I was traveling.  

Iceland has a national effort to reduce waste, including waste paper.  You are asked if you need a receipt for a purchase. If you don't ask for it, it is not printed.  A little thing but it will save a few hundred trees a year, and be little less will go into the landfills or incinerators.  In places like Italy, merchants are obligated to give you a receipt for even the most mundane of purchases.  The Fiscal Police (Tax police) watch for receipts in small merchants and will fine the merchant for failure to provide a receipt.  Tax avoidance is a national pastime in Italy, and unthinkable for people in Iceland. 

Something that struck me was the honesty and sincerity of the people.  I felt safe, I didn't count my change, I didn't worry about where my wallet and passport were.  I left my computer in the hotel room (it wouldn't fit in the in room safe.) 


 

18 comments:

  1. And yet, another country that does things right. I'm beginning to think I'm living in the wrong country somedays.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A great country. Too bad about the weather. The church architecture is interesting. I like the view at the end of the rainbow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 45 and sunny, perfect beach weather

      Delete
  3. Anonymous5/26/2022

    Rather good photos.
    I was so unsure about early retirement, but I have no regrets at all. Do it!
    We like to travel with a Visa and Mastercard credit cards and Visa debit cards with the hope that one of them will work. The last couple of times we've used a special bank supplied travel card that worked out cheaper.
    In the US and Canada we had to get used to tip buttons when paying.
    Generally here you have to ask for a receipt if you want one.
    While we have used hotel safes in the past, really I don't think it was necessary anywhere we stayed when overseas. I don't think I've felt unsafe anywhere in the world aside from the London Tube the first time we visited where everyone looked so unfriendly and angry. I felt a bit uncomfortable at the wall in Belfast though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Tube can be intimidating. We stayed away from Northern Ireland, as some call it occupied Ireland

      Delete
  4. That church is definitely on my "to see" list in Reykjavik! Its look is meant to evoke the volcanic basalt columns found elsewhere in Iceland. Although it is of course a Christian church, I read that the street signs around it have all the names of the old Norse gods. I love your photo of the street rainbow flag leading to it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am far from a religious person, but I do love the architecture of churches, and this one is really something.
    SIDENOTE: a lot of our local shops are now only printing receipts if you ask for one. It's a start .....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Square asks if you want a receipt, email, text, none, a lot of small businesses are using them

      Delete
  6. Your descriptions of Iceland are the same as what my friend told me when she returned. She was very impressed by the friendliness. Love the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my, that church is gorgeous! As far as receipts go, if there is the option for email or none, I choose those. I shake my head at the miles and miles of paper that my grocery store and CVS spew out. What a waste.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You make it sound as lovely as I have imagined it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is and the people are so nice

      Delete
  9. I hope we continue to move closer to a completely touch-less society (aside from intimate touching with people of our choosing.)

    ReplyDelete