Sunday, March 01, 2015

Quality as Promised


About 30 years ago, I was occupying parallel space with a klutz.  A glass was broken every week.  The Williams Sonoma catalog arrived and had a description of Picardie Glass Tumblers, made by Duralex in France. This was back when Williams Sonoma was only a handful of stores and in most of the country they were only a catalog.  The fact that they were made in France piqued by interest, I have long had a soft spot for France.  

The catalog description described them as "nearly indestructible."   I ordered a two dozen and figured if I was lucky they might last a year.  Well they are as described, I still have nearly all of them.  It is possible to break them, but not very easy.  I recently shattered one, I took it out of a hot dishwasher - filled it with ice cold water and heard a distinct click, almost in slow motion it disintegrated in front of me.  

It is surprising to find something that is as good or even better then described. I like the simple classic shape, and the durability has far exceeded my expectations.  I now have them in four sizes.  http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/picardie-glass-tumbler/?pkey=cbar-glassware-casual%7C%7C4293865763&cm_src=bar-glassware-casual||FN-Brand-_-FN-Duralex-_--_- 

No comments:

Post a Comment