Tuesday, June 18, 2024

Travel Tuesday: The Ship

Explorer of the Seas is about 1,000 feet long, a floating resort hotel. It is an older ship, about 25 years old.  When she was launched she was the largest in the world. One of the first to have a large indoor central atrium. 

People ask if we were bored, there were 8 days at sea.  We enjoyed every one of those days. There are hundreds of things to do. Time to relax and watch the sea roll by seemed to fly by.  My advice, don't fear the ship or time at sea, savor being away from the world. There were a couple of thousand passengers onboard, and there were always places to find quiet and solitude. 

I realize I didn't take photos of the cabin, there are lot of photos online.  We really enjoyed the balcony, having a private outdoor space. On our previous cruise we  had an inside or "ocean view" cabins, the balcony costs quite a bit more, but we really enjoyed it.    




The view up and back from our balcony at night. No we didn't ride the slide. 

In port in Tenerife. The small ship in front of us is Ritz Carlton at sea, it is doing a transAtlantic crossing next spring, $7,500 per person with everything included.  I know it looks tiny, it is 590 feet long. 




The view down from our balcony. 

He had a colorful collection of swimwear. 

The flowrider looked fun, but the cautions crossed the line into Dr. W's advice to not do anything stupid. 

























Nap time. 


Miami fading into the distance. 




'Take Her to Sea Mr. Murdoch" my favorite line from the movie "Titanic." 





16 comments:

  1. I don’t know why they don’t allow teleportation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two days at sea had me depressed. There was so much to do on the cruise to and from New Zealand but I could not motivate myself at all. I would find the most comfortable public seat I could and just read. Cruises are ok if you are in port somewhere each day. I may have sparked up if I could see one man wearing many different speedos. Your ship looks very nice and thanks for showing us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was always people watching.

      Delete
  3. I like the views out at sea!!!! I still don't ever think I'll do a cruise. I think what does it for me is the ships look like floating Las Vegas....and I can't stand Vegas. To glitzy and flashy looking busy looking. I think a river cruise would be suited to me more. And just how big can these ships get before there is going to be a major catastrophe?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When Mexico builds the larger canal, the ships will get much larger. The ship we have booked for next spring is much more sedate. No water slides, or ice skating rinks.

      Delete
  4. I love the views but what amazes me is how tiny that Ritz Carlton ship looks when it's not tiny at all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When we walked past it, I thought it was a billionaires private toy. When I was looking at cruises for next spring it popped up in the search, it is leaving Ft. Lauderdale the same weekend we are, at about three times the price.

      Delete
  5. I've not been on a cruise but there sure is something for everyone! Your advice is spot on...savor the experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish there were more, and more fairly priced cruises on the great lakes.

      Delete
  6. I can't get over the size of that ship!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The difference in height really exaggerates the difference. The Ritz ship is about 250 cabins, the big ship is about 1,643 cabins.

      Delete
  7. That ship looks wonderful. You are so right, a floating resort.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even mini-golf on the top deck.

      Delete
  8. Never a dull moment, from the look of things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only when you want it to be dull.

      Delete