Tuesday, June 04, 2024

Travel Tuesday: It is Only A dream Trip, if you Limit Yourself to Dreaming About it

 









This most recent adventure was a dream trip for me.  The transAtlantic cruise is something I have dreamed about doing for years. When I was a teenager my grandmother and great grandmother would tell stories about their three crossings back in the days of steam and the Titanic.  And there were always reasons why I couldn't do it. The reasons were excuses. And excuses are like assholes, all of us have one, and most of them stink.  I finally moved this from a dream to reality. 

Most of you, could, if you wanted to, do what we have done.  There was a lady with no arms on the ship, if she can do it, we can all do it.  

So what did it cost?  

Air to Miami $12.50 plus frequent flyer miles

Hotel in Miami $400 

Cruise $3,500 including medical coverage for the two of us at sea. 

On the ship extras $725 (included the best haircut I have had in years.) 

Hotel in Barcelona $500

Train to Caracasone $150 

Hotel in Carcassonne  $450 

Train to Nimes $80

Rental car and fuel for 11 days with $0 liability $975

Hotel in Arles $250

Gite $450 for 7 nights

Hotel in Nimes including breakfast $500

Train to Paris $160 

Hotel at CDG $200 

Food about $1,200 we ate whatever we wanted whenever we wanted, we would have spent nearly this much on groceries and eating out if we had stayed home. 

Air for return flights $450 plus frequent flyer miles.

Travel Health Insurance for me $114 (My health insurance does not cover out of the country.) 

I probably spent another $150 on parking, admissions, and souvenirs.  

So round it up to $10,000. 

That is a lot of money, but if you really wanted to do it, would it be impossible for you to do? 

I selected and booked all of the hotels, saving a little.  I booked the cabin with the balcony that I wanted, I could have saved $1,500 by booking an inside cabin. I booked the train tickets in advance and used the senior discount. We selected restaurants based on what we wanted to eat, not really on price (once or twice I passed on someplace that I thought was overpriced.) I could have spent less on the rental car, I place comfort and quality over cost on that - and I always add all of the insurance when I am renting a car outside of my home country.  Bottom line, I could have spent a little less, I could have spent a lot more.  But we did what we wanted to do.  We lived our dream.  

We did it, because we wanted the trip to be a reality, and not a dream.  It is only a dream trip, if you limit yourself to dreaming about it.  Most of us limit trips to dreams, out of fear.  Fear of traveling for a month.  Fear of being in a place where you are not fluent in the language.  Fear of spending the money (remember you can't take it with you, what we spent on this trip would pay for a month of nursing home care that I would sooner die than endure - your heirs will be fine without the extra money.) Fear of getting lost in a foreign country. Fear of the unknown. 

If you have a dream trip, make it a real trip.  Get over the excuses, get over the fears, make the plans and just go do it.  


22 comments:

  1. The prices seem quite reasonable and it is interesting to know costs. Of course when converted to our dollars, ouch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was surprised by how much I spent, but pleased with the value.

      Delete
  2. Well done for devising the trip and seeing it through! For what you experienced I would say it was good value for money. And more than that it was symbolic - the marking point between your old working life and your retirement. When I retired one of the first things I did was to plan a trip to Easter Island (Rapa Nui) and see it through. I am so glad I did that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Easter Island, way cool! How long did it take ti get there?

      Delete
    2. YP - thank you - it was also the first vacation from my retirement.

      Delete
    3. WH - about 5 hours from Santiago according to Google.

      Delete
    4. Wow! Another 5 hrs added onto what it takes to get to Santiago. Impressive...

      Delete
    5. I trust you didn't drive... 🤣

      Delete
  3. It doesn't sound so bad for all you did and saw and ate and drove.
    I still think you need to write a travel book and give your tips.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the trip was beautiful from the pictures I have seen. I still don't think I'd ever do a cruise, with exception to a river cruise. I like to get there as quick as possible, and then spend all my time there exploring and taking in the delight and the wonder or do a train travel like we did with the Orient Express. Flew to London, spent two days, then took the Pullman to the Orient Express to Vienna. Talk about an experience. I can mostly certainly see you two doing that trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Make your dream trips, real trips.

      Delete
  5. I like your saying about excuses! I hadn't heard that one before. I did my dream trip after I retired - taking my daughter to Italy. It was great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Someday, I am going to rent an apartment in Florence near the Mercato Centrale and spend a week shopping and cooking. I should do this next year before the opportunity slips away.

      Delete
  6. Great photos! I love that hillside village and that cute red car.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was a red one, and three white one's they are rentals. (Also a VW bug convertible.)

      Delete
  7. The photos do give an idea of how wonderful it was. I think you got by amazingly cheaply. I would have guessed double or even triple that for what you did and how long you were gone. Crap, I spend more than half that on my 10 days in NYC every year. Still, I’m sure that’s out of the question for many people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Couple of keys to the budget, the cruise was all inclusive on food, I don't drink much I spent less than $75 on drinks. The Gite was a bargain, and we were eating breakfast and a light evening meal in (food in Europe is less expensive than in the states.) And using frequent flyer miles for the air saved probably $2,000, maybe more. The Premium Economy seats on British Airways cost me about 80,000 American Airlines points, the two seats on Delta to Miami were cheap, about 15,000 points and the taxes were minimal.

      Delete
  8. Europe is such a photographer's dream, too. Thanks for the great photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a few thousand more photos.

      Delete