Friday, June 14, 2024

100 Ways to Slightly Improve Your Travel Experience #10 Hop-on-Hop-Off Bus Tours

 


Open top double decker bus tours are a great way to get a feel for the a city you have never been to before.  The buses will hit the highlights of the history and architecture of the city and can be a great way to become oriented to the city. 

The first one of these I took, was way back in 1990 on my first trip across the pond, an open top sightseeing bus tour of London.  Since then I have done several of them, memorably in Dublin and Barcelona. Sometimes we get on and off, sometimes we just ride the circuit getting an overview of the city.  

You have to be agile to climb to the top, but the views are really worth it.  You will also be out in the sun, many of them have a canvas top that will close if it starts to rain. 


14 comments:

  1. I agree. They are a great way to get an overview of cities. We've taken many and they can be variable, and some quite expensive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Barcelona was about 26-Euro each.

      Delete
  2. It sounds cheesy, but it is a good way to see the city and orient yourself.
    I always tell people we know who are visiting Charleston to take the carriage rides because they do the same thing and help you navigate the city's neighborhoods.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember taking one of those, the guide was great fun.

      Delete
  3. I just LOVE Hop-on Hop-off buses! We made great use of them in London and Rome. Quite apart from the initial complete tour to familiarize ourselves with the city, an unlimited pass meant we also used them for getting from one attraction to the other -- very handy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great idea, especially in Rome, where the subway is limited.

      Delete
  4. I've done this many times too. My first time was also in London many, many years ago. I've done it in NY, also many, many years ago. And, a few other places come to mind.You are right, a great way to get oriented.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can just imagine traffic in NYC.

      Delete
  5. I have never done those bus tours....I was always worried about over talking couples and kids squealing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Plug in the headset, and trip the kids down the stairs.

      Delete
  6. Never seen or been on double decker bus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The upper level offers great views.

      Delete
  7. I went on a marvelous one in Honolulu; it was a splendid way to see the sights.

    ReplyDelete