Saturday, June 15, 2024

The Saturday Morning Post: Doors and Knockers

Doors keep us in, keep us out, are the portals to what lays beyond. They vary from the mundane and functional, to elaborate works of art.  Knockers and other hardware are functional sculptures. 

Historic preservation in old town Alexandria Virginia was triggered by a door.  The colonial era door and surround from Gadsby's tavern is a masterpiece of colonial architecture.  So nice, that in a remodel of the building, the door and surround were sold to a museum in New England. The loss triggered a move to preserve the historic fabric of the area, after all Gadsby's was a gather place for the founding fathers.  The door was repurchased - restored and much of what remains is there because of the protections in place. (Historic preservation in Savannah Georgia was triggered by a parking garage.) 


Treasury Door, Palace of the Popes Avignon, 


Door Number 1 in Nimes, France 















 

20 comments:

  1. I love going in search of old doors and knockers in historic cities. I had a blast in Sevilla.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the brown door with the blue eyes. It would look good on the cover of a greatest hits album - The Doors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great doors and great knockers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should organize all of the door photos into one book

      Delete
    2. "Thank you, Herr Doktor!" (Young Frankenstein reference)

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Come on in, the door is unlocked

      Delete
  5. That's an interesting collection of doors! My favorite is the bright blue!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could live there, in a walled medieval village.

      Delete
  6. What a great selection of doors and door knockers. I love the one that looks like a face.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was struck by that one door with the very old "knocker" but a very new and modern lock just above it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am quite fond of doors, wondering what maybe behind them including a faraway land or an adventure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What adventures hide behind these portals.

      Delete
  9. I have to admit, when I read the title I thought that you had found footage of a rare duet between Jim Morrison and Dolly Parton! Then I remembered where I was and that ended that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dolly would do a wonderful duet with Jim.

      Delete