Tuesday, June 11, 2024

Travel Tuesday: The Gite


Gites are French country vacation rentals. Most are in rural areas, or on farms. This was our second time renting a Gite.  I always book a two bedroom, to give us more space.  I like having a full kitchen because I love shopping in local markets. I didn't do a lot of "cooking" but we ate breakfast and a light evening meal in every day.  







The car we rented for 11 days. 

The gate is through that opening in the hedges. 

The apartment we rented was the ground floor of this end of the farmhouse. 




To get there, you turn off the main road, onto a gravel drive, drive about 250 meters between polytunnels, turn right between these two farm buildings and look for the opening in the very tall hedge. Pass through the gate, and drive to the end. The gardening and landscaping was lush and tropical. 


This Gite booked through an agency and accepted online payment by credit card.  Always look at what is included, paying special attention to sheets and towels, some include these, some offer them as an option. 
 

26 comments:

  1. Gites always look a bit rough to me, but I suppose as long as they have everything, I guess they are ok. It appears to be a very nice property.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are casual, not five star hotels. This one has been in service for a few years, but everything worked well, and it was clean and comfortable.

      Delete
  2. Slightly different from your apartment in DC. Being on a farm was there a certain "aroma" in the air? The place looks really nice - a great find.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a 70 hectare farm that is mostly greenhouses and polytunnels. The current harvest was courgettes, no funky country smells. We had the windows open every day (screens on the windows - nice to see in Europe.)

      Delete
  3. Charming. It must have been so relaxing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was relaxing and private. And we caught up on laundry in the middle of a 5 week trip.

      Delete
  4. Oh it looks wonderful; so peaceful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If I ever did France I would so do this especially if for a period of time. The house itself is glorious and charming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you do France? France is made for you, you are made for France.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Many more grand adventures my love.

      Delete
  7. The directions on how to get there...that works so well for me. No NSEW, just landmarks. What a lovely place to stay and feel like you're immersed in French life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never did figure out if were were north or south of St Martin Du Crau, we changed the language on the sat nav to English and set Home to the Gite, and I just went where the little voices told me to go.

      Delete
  8. I would never be bold enough to drive around another country. You are much more travel-savvy than me! It does look nice and comfy, tho - glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have rented cars in France three times, Iceland three times, England and Ireland one each. We took factory delivery of a car in Germany and drove into Austria. GPS makes it easier. The roundabouts and speed bumps started to get to me on this trip (and driving a manual transmission through all of that.)

      Delete
  9. That looks like a great place to spend some time. The surroundings are beautiful. It also looks quiet and peaceful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have enjoyed the Gites and would do it again. I would also like to rent an apartment in a city center where everything is walkable.

      Delete
  10. You have built enough memories on just this one trip to last a lifetime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have a few more years to go.

      Delete
  11. Replies
    1. Gites are a nice way to spend a week.

      Delete
  12. I admire your courage; I would be timorous to travel in a country where I didn't know the roads or the language; good for you !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My ex was terrified of getting lost and never find the way home, my thought was what a wonderful place to be lost for the rest of my life.

      Delete