Saturday, October 14, 2023

The Saturday Morning Post: Big Red 83


So, how did I end up driving a big red Cadillac? I paid for most of law school with student loans.  For undergrad, I had worked full time, went to school part time and paid as I went.  Law school was different, full time law students are not allowed to work the first year, and discouraged from working for years 2 and 3.  

Six months after I graduated the payments started. The minimum payments were about 1/3 of my take home pay.  Almost as large as the mortgage payments on the house in Kentucky.  I buckled down and paid.  The car I was driving I had bought new a couple of years before I started law school, and paid off when we moved to Kentucky.  It was about 10 years old, had a lot of miles on it, and I got to the point I didn't trust it.  So I bought a compromise used car to drive until the loans were paid off - a basic Saturn.  It was simple, and reliable, but not terribly comfortable.

I did as much moonlighting as I could, I was saving up cash to pay off my student loans.  I had about $10,000 saved up.  

Then the higher education authority sent out a letter about a public interest loan forgiveness program.  I had worked in a non-profit legal aid program since finishing law school.  The paperwork was daunting - but what did I have to lose.  I had been paying on my loans for about 7 years, I still owed about $12,500.  I checked the balance one day and it was $1,400,  $10,000 and year's interest had been taken off my balance.  I sent a check in the next day and paid off the balance. 

And I had the extra cash I had saved up to try to pay off the student loans early.  Smile - it was time for a nicer car.  $10,000 even at that time wouldn't buy a new car, and I really didn't want any debt.  

I decided a nice used car would be perfect. After having driven small and basic for a few years, I decided what I really wanted was a "fat assed middle age man car."  I started looking around town, and I mentioned to friends of mine who did a lot of probate and estate work that the ideal car for me was something a few years old with not very many miles on it.  A car to old for the banks to be interested in financing, that I could easily pay cash for.  A couple of leads trickled in, a Jaguar X type - I drove it - it felt like a four-wheel drive pickup truck.  

Then Robert said, "I have just the thing, a 9 year old Eldorado with 12,000 miles on it, that has spent a lot of time sitting in a garage, for $9,000."  I didn't say I will buy it on the spot, I wanted to see it and drive it first.  A few days later I met him, drove it down the street, said yes, and we were off the clerk's office for the transfer.  It was part of a guardianship estate.  The owner was an older woman who had never worked a day in her life, she had a large inheritance in a trust fund.  She had developed dementia, and was in a care facility (the best around, money was no object.)

It was huge, and comfy.  The first time I drove it, I thought of a line in the movie Titanic, "take her to sea Mr. Murdoch!" That is what it felt like.  I drove it 4 or 5 years.  After I moved to DC, parking became a nightmare.  Half of the parking spaces in this area it was simply to big for.  And a couple of things broke and the local dealer here in DC was expensive with an attitude.  I decide one day, I wanted something nice and much smaller.  I traded it on a sensible 5 door hatchback, with all kinds of bells and whistles.  

I have owned a lot of cars, Big Red was the only one that ever drew a compliment from my father, "a damn fine automobile," high praise from him.  

22 comments:

  1. My father, too, would have liked Big Red. I once had my friend's family's 1970s gold Sedan de Ville for the summer while they were all in Italy. What a tank. I went to visit a wealthy and pretentious and young aunt and uncle who I would get high with. My uncle came out and told me to move the car. He didn't want the neighbors to see it in front of their house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is often said that men who choose red cars do so in order to advertise their heightened testosterone levels. It's like shouting, "Come and get me baby!". I would have had Big Red sprayed beige.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't even think of the color when I bought it. It was comfortable and fun to drive.

      Delete
    2. It had a nice big "trunk" like an elephant.

      Delete
    3. It was shallow, only two bodies worth

      Delete
    4. How many bodies were you transporting?

      Delete
  3. She was a beaut, I'll say that, but, yeah, trying to park her would have been insane.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I gave up in a couple of parking garages

      Delete
  4. That was a fun car! I liked it a bunch.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Clearly Big Red has a special place in your heart!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know this is a bit off your main subject, but I am shocked that your law school prohibited, or discouraged, working. I worked my way through Hastings College of the Law (now UC Law SF), as a full-time student, where my total school expenses were 6K, ending in 1990. Due to working and low tuition, I had no debt. Otherwise, I could never have afforded to go back to school as an adult. As an aside, I recently talked to a student who graduated from the same school about five years ago with 300K debt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We see law students with that kind of debt, it really limits their options

      Delete
  7. My dad had a Mercury Marquis and my brother nicknamed it Bubba. It was no fun to parallel park. When it was time for me to take the test for my driver's license, my dad knew my frustration and difficulty parking that tank so he rented a much smaller car to use for the driving/parking portion of the test.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did most of my practice driving in a pick-up truck that I was very comfortable driving, my father insisted that I drive his huge Chrysler for the driving test. I have a vivid memory, we went around a square mile block, with all left hand turns, a couple of them at traffic lights, driving back to the office, the examiner pointed to a parking lot next to the office and said, get it in there and get it stopped without hitting anything and you passed. I passed.

      Delete
  8. I'm pretty certain that my dad would have admired that car too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was not so sure when I started buying foreign cars.

      Delete
  9. Big Red is fitting name.
    Coffee is on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I thought it was a good fit.

      Delete