Monday, October 30, 2023

Moody Monday: Adulting 67


I think all adults, regardless of gender, sexual orientation, or gender identity should be able to adult.  To have the basic skills to take care of themselves, to be self sufficient.  Here are a few things I think everyone should be able to do, even if they don't like to do, and rely on someone else to do, we should know how. 

Cook, I am not going to ask you to do anything complicated like make the perfect fried egg (Gordon Ramsey has been known to test applicants for jobs in his kitchen by asking them to fry an egg.) An omelet or scrambled eggs are much easier.  Everyone needs basic knife skills, something I had to teach myself.  How to make a basic soup or stew (or curry) there are a billion options, other than getting the spice way off, you really can't go wrong. Boil pasta, make mashed potatoes.  Bake a simple cake, make pastry and bake a simple pie. 

I learned the basics of cooking from a grandmother who was not a very good cook, who worked hard to learn the basics, and taught me in a way that was very forgiving. There were no mistakes in her kitchen, no one right way to do anything.  

To shop and maintain a basic kitchen pantry.  Having learned to cook from someone who survived two World Wars and the great depression, I learned from someone who knew how to stock a kitchen.  Keeping the basics on hand, allows you to do so much. 

Do your own laundry.  I lived alone a few summers in early adulthood, and had to learn how to do my own laundry.  The first time I was married, my soon to be ex, did my laundry once, by stuffing three loads of laundry into the machine at once.  Only once, I returned to doing my own laundry after that, and I still do.  

Sew on a button.  Assuming that you wear clothing that has buttons, you should be able to sew on a button. The biggest challenge today, is finding a replacement, when I was growing up my grandmothers would gather clothes that were being discarded, and cut the buttons off into their button box.  Sewing a button on is not hard to do. 

Write a letter.  By hand, address the envelope, put postage on it, and send it off in the post.  It is a simple skill that I fear is being lost.  

I use to think, write a check.  I was talking with a college student recently and I asked, "do you write checks?" Her answer was that she has a few times, but had to ask her mother for help. Perhaps this is a skill that will no longer exist.  I am down to one account that I am stilling paying by mail.  Oh, and my taxes, the County wants to charge extra to pay online - so I still mail checks.  I guess this is being replaced by being able to check our online accounts, and set up direct payment (something I have learned to do.) 

Shop for and buy clothes.  I am surprised by people who have never bought clothing, their mother did, then their spouse did (this is mostly a man thing.) I have known men who never bought underwear or a pair of shoes for themself, someone always brought it home for them. 

Clean house.  Dusting, vacuuming or sweeping floors, washing floors, scrubbing a sink, cleaning a toilet. This is something I don't like to do, and don't do as often as I should, but I do know how to do it.  If forced to do so, I wouldn't need to learn or live in squalor.  

What else should an adult know how to do? 

13 comments:

  1. Say ”no” to any of the above

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like I do to most house cleaning, I can do it, but I simply say No

      Delete
  2. I do all of those things still; I love the art of cooking so for me it's fun.
    I shop, do my laundry, can sew on a button, and can clean my own house.
    I still write a few checks but admit it's been a long while since I've written a letter; I still send cards for special occasions, though, all hand-written and stamped and snt.

    I am a Luddite!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can remember the last time I sent a letter, but not the last time I received one.

      Delete
  3. How to recognize fact from fiction comes to mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Especially if they are going into journalism.

      Delete
  4. Growing up have lot fund memories of being in kitchen.
    Coffee is on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bank tellers and would be about the only people here now who have any knowledge of cheques here now. Cheques began to disappear in the 90s with advent of phone banking which a decade later became internet banking.

    When R's English great nephew's partner was visiting us, she called from a post office to ask if she had to lick a stamp or if it was self adhesive. As she only bought one, it was lick.

    One thing I could add is how to be a discerning media consumer, but most children get some education in that at school.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All of the stamps I have a peel and stick

      Delete
  6. An adult should know how to lock the doors before going to bed and remember to do this night after night. An adult should know how to whistle a tune. An adult should know how to admit when he or she has screwed up and to sometimes say sorry without qualification. An adult should learn to look forward instead of always looking back on past times. An adult should know how to fart silently when in company and to swear innocence when accused of farting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmmmm, I suspect adults who could perform none of these life skills were historically men, who would have had wives/mothers do it all for them (except for the writing cheques one). I sure hope that's no longer the case.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How to ask for or extend an offer of help (depending upon the circustances).
    How to read a map, plan a trip, pack a suitcase, and change a tire. I was about to say jump start a car, but with the increasing popularity of electric vehicles, this may not be necessary.

    A gentleman knows how to play the accordion, but doesn't.

    Will Jay

    ReplyDelete