Wednesday, October 04, 2023

My World of Wonders, aka The Wednesday Ws October 4 2023


What is the image?  Sur Le Table has Duralex glasses in colors, I have never seen the original french one's in colors.  They only have the small size in colors.  I have some of these that are literally 40 years old.  I ordered them from the Williams Sonoma, the catalog described them as nearly indestructible - I have broken a couple of them in 40 years, but only a couple.

Where have I been?  The office a couple of day, work from home the rest of the week. Out for a random lunch in old town (more on that on Friday.) The farmers market. The Kennedy Center for the season opener of the National Symphony Orchestra.  

What are we planning?  Dear friends from northern Indiana are going to be here next weekend, a trip planned BC, that is finally taking place.  The weekend after that Jay's last department chair will be here for a few days (she grew up here and has family in the area.) 

What is the weather like? It has cooled off, a few nights with lows in the 50f, highs in the 60's or low 70sf, a few rainy days.  It was a long hot summer, it is a nice change.  I bought a couple of long sleeve thermal shirts to add to the collection.  

Who have I talked with? The office team, a couple of my board members, my boss, a couple of neighbors, and the sweet bear.  Pastry Boy at the market, he was starting college this fall, and it looked like his rather buff brother was going to take over the market.  At the last minute he was offered a seat at Virginia Tech's new Arlington Campus and decided to stay home for college. 

What am I cooking?  Early in the summer I made pickled beets, we ate the last of them recently and the sweet bear commented on how good they were.  So I bought 5 pounds of beets from the organic gardener at the market and I will pack several more pints of them.  I made my holiday fruitcakes and set them to soak up the booze for a couple of months to reach their peak of flavor.  

What have I been reading? "The Creative Act" by Rick Rubin, it is unconventional, as Rick is. He is a music producer.  I really liked the book, I ordered a print copy to have around for when I need to jump start creative thinking.  I have enough books on my Kindle to blow past my reading goal for the year, at the pace I will finish 60 books this year.  

Who deserves a slap? Congress.  I really can't explain what is happening.  How many slaps, 5 out of 5.  

What surprised me this week? A man on King Street in old town Alexandria walking down the sidewalk with a Hasselblad. I am a camera geek.  It was 501 series film camera.  They are rare and valuable, I think it is only the second time I have seen one on the street.  If I won the PowerBall, I'd have one as my daily carry. I know someone who carries one, he has never told his wife how much he paid for it, she would make him wish he was dead. 

93 

  




 

18 comments:

  1. We too have a set of the dura glass in clear, but I am loving the amber colored glass. They are almost indestructible.

    I'm a HUGE WIlliams-Sonoma junkie. They may be expensive, but their offerings will last years and years, and they will replace anything bought if its theirs and even years later. My aunt and I both had an item from them, she a Kitchen Aid, and myself a baking casserole dish. Years later just in talking to them, they said bring it back and they would replace it...and they did...even with no receipt all these years later. I mean like more than 8 years. That is very good customer service and standing behind your product.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Williams Sonoma closed out neighborhood store - I miss it.

      Delete
  2. The glasses are very pretty. I think I would like some as spirit tumblers.
    You will be busy with visitors.
    The congress vote is a disaster. It seems the Republicans who voted to remove the Speaker just hate the country so much, they want to destroy it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was most surprised by the vote. McCarthy struck a deal with the extremists to get elected as speaker and was left unable to lead.

      Delete
  3. The questions remind me of a Gestapo interrogation under a bright reading light. When finished you are frogmarched back to your cell to await further questioning...
    What is the capital of Outer Mongolia?
    Which came first - the Devonian or the Silurian age?
    What was Tennessee Williams's real first name?
    What is Matt Gaetz's IQ and why does he look like the son of Frankenstein's monster?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rumor has it that Gaetz is planning to leave congress and run for governor in Florida, as the state sinks ever deeper into the swamp.

      Delete
    2. What is the airspeed velocity of an unladen sparrow?

      Delete
    3. Why is a hamster a wicked rodent?

      Delete
    4. Because he wishes to dominate the world, starting with Scotland.

      Delete
  4. 5/5 slaps is not enough.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Duralex" -- the name says it all!

    ReplyDelete
  6. At this point, there aren't enough slaps in the world.
    You've broken 2? I wonder if Duralex are like Durex. 98% effective.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was wondering if someone would make that connection.

      Delete
  7. I love those Duralux glasses. They are available in a multitude of sizes and we have quite a few! Iconic French table ware and seen in restaurants and homes everywhere in France.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My daily use glasses are the larger size, in clear.

      Delete