Wednesday, October 18, 2023

My World of Wonders aka The Wednesday Ws October 18 2023 79


What made me wonder this week? I received a slick mailing addressed to my father talking about new and innovative treatment for aortic stenosis that would extend his quality of life.  I wondered if I should send a reply, there was a postage paid reply form, asking if they really thought it would help, he was cremated him 6 years ago.  

What brilliant observation did I have this week? For naps there is only now.  If faced with cleaning out a closet or taking a nap, only one of these can be put off until later.  Nap now.

Where have I been?  Since last Wednesday, out to dinner a couple of times, the Air and Space Museum, the office, the gym, and an evening drive around the monuments in Washington DC.  

What Special Occasion? Our 31 anniversary was this week. 

Who have I seen? Kelly and Bob (aka Woodchuck) were in town for three days, they were a couple of the first bloggers we got to know, and great friends.  My team in the office.  Anna, Susan, Rafael - wonderful neighbors. 

Who have a talked with? Karen and Bob, a couple of old professional contacts. People I should stay in contact with more often. 

What have I been reading?  Constant Traveler, a book by British expats living in France.  Not sure what I will move to next, maybe a book about Patrick Henry. 

What good things happened this week at the office? I have three project renewals coming in.  One came in a couple of weeks ago, and after considerable back and forth, I got it approved. One came in this week, the budget was approved to the penny on the first try, and it looks like the other administrative hurdle is under control. The third one I have been told is on it's way, and will likely include a modest increase in funding.  I was really worried about one of these, and we must have done well last year - it came through as expected.  

Who deserves an atta-boy this week? We are about to kick off major donor event, and five of my board members came forward with starting gifts to kick things off. 

What have I been drinking?  A homemade coffee liquor, 12 ounces of fresh ground coffee, 1.5 liters of vodka, cinnamon stick, let that soak for 10-14 days, strain and filter, add about 25% with simple syrup. 100 times better than anything I have ever bought. 

When is the next adventure? Today, and another one a week from today. 

What is the model above?  An aircraft, designed by an executive committee.  

What left me going Huhhhh??  The office - things I can't talk about that are to my advantage and didn't totally make sense.  






17 comments:

  1. Not that I nap, but if I did I would agree with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When you get older, you may find that you sleep a little in the afternoon.

      Delete
  2. Yes, that aircraft is what I'd expect. Your coffee liquor (liqueur?) sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also did cherry and Cranberry this year.

      Delete
  3. 1.5 litres of vodka? Good heavens mister - you've got a problem!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nothing wrong with a nice 20 minute nap.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am unable to nap because I cannot sleep for short periods of time or else I wake up a cranky [crankier?] bitch.

    My dad just told me yesterday he will have aortic stenosis treatments; his heart is not good, but his doctor said this will make him feel much better.

    Happy anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the treatment will help him, more than my father

      Delete
  6. Sounds like an exciting and satisfying time at the office this week! And that coffee liqueur -- mmmmmm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 709 days and it is not my excitment

      Delete
  7. Happy Anniversary! I love your advice on naps. I agree, naps win every time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy 31st! Here's to many, many more.

    ReplyDelete
  9. when in doubt get horizontal

    ReplyDelete