Friday, October 13, 2023

Fabulous Friday: Fruitcake Season 84





I was about 10 when my mother started making fruitcakes for the holidays.  She had given up on Clackston, and abbeys for this holiday treat. She continued to make them until she was about 80.  I started baking them a few years before she stopped.  

A fruitcake is a confection of a heavy spice cake with just enough cake to hold together a heavy mix of dried and candied fruits and nuts.  It is important to not expect it to be a cake, it is a distinct confection.  If you think of it as a cake, you will find it heavy and sticky, and not cake like. A fruitcake is a cake, like a pizza is a pie.  

Baking it myself, I can control the spice level, I like lots of Saigon Cinnamon, a little less cloves, and lots of freshly grated nutmeg.  I can control the fruit mix.  I use twice as many raisins as the recipe suggests, and I soak them in good bourbon and dark rum before adding them.  For the candied fruits, I use mostly cherries, because I like cherries.  

Fruit cake is best when it has had time to age.  To age it, you wrap it in cheesecloth, soak it liberally with good booze, bourbon, dark rum, and brandy, seal it in a plastic bag and refrigerate.  I usually soak it, wrap it let is sit in the refrigerator for month, then add more booze, and let it age in the refrigerator for at least another month.  This year's was set to age on October 1st, the first will be ready for Thanksgiving, the second one of Christmas and New Years. I made a couple of small one's this year to give as gifts.  

19 comments:

  1. I love a good fruitcake. SG makes something similar called Jamaican Black Cake. Even more elaborate. Costs a fortune to make. And you get completely sotted from the fumes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The candied fruits were pricey

      Delete
  2. What a wonderful holiday tradition. The recipients will be thrilled with their gifts. PS...your backsplash tile is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, the tile is made of recycled glass, we spent days looking for just the right thing.

      Delete
  3. There's nothing I like better than a good fruitcake! White or dark, both are delicious if well made. Yours sounds exquisite! I've never attempted to make one. The closest I come is a recipe for "fruitcake cookies," a pale substitute. And yes, those cherries and candied fruit are expensive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The mix is large, but not difficult to make.

      Delete
  4. I have never been a fan of fruitcake, but maybe it wasn't prepared the right way. Your version sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not converted many people to liking it.

      Delete
  5. Yum! That sounds wonderful. I love a good fruitcake and I haven't had one in many moons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kind if fun to make, more fun to eat

      Delete
  6. That could be a traditional Welsh barabrith made with cold tea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will have to look that one up.

      Delete
  7. I have tried and tried and tried fruitcakes and have never developed a fondness for them; maybe if I soaked myself in bourbon first?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Does your list of talents never end Mr Penguin? My wife makes fruitcakes, Christmas puddings and a Christmas cake every year but because she doesn't like cherries she never adds them to the mix even though I, like you, love to find cherries in fruitcakes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like being able to vary the fruit to my taste.

      Delete
  9. You may have all the cherries you like if I may have your portion of citron 😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One advantage of making it is we can vary the mix to taste.

      Delete
  10. Marvelous! I don't think I've ever had a proper fruitcake. I bet they beat the store-bought stuff by a country mile.

    ReplyDelete