Monday, October 09, 2023

Mural / Music Monday: Kenny Rogers - Lucille (Audio) 88


It has been a long time since I have done a Mural Monday, or Music Monday post. Today you get a little of both.  The mural above was in downtown Harrisburg, Pennsylvania. Nice color on what would otherwise be the featureless wall next to a parking lot.  

Many years ago, I worked with Patricia, whose ex-husband wrote part of the lyrics for the song.  She was a bitter ex. Her name wasn't Lucille, though that probably Lucile rhymes better than Patricia,  he left, she didn't, she had the hungry kids to feed, and most of all, she didn't get a cut of his royalties on the song.  She had a successful career, and remarried to the guy who pushed the destruct button when a NASA launch went awry (most of the destructs are done by computer, as a backup there was a person sitting there watching all of the data with their finger poised to push the button- the range safety officer.) 




18 comments:

  1. One of my favorite Kenny Rodgers songs!!!

    Harrisburg has a wonderful walking mural tour...there are I believe 39 in all. I know right where this one is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this song. For some odd reason, it was a drunken singalong among some of my old friends. I don't love this particular mural, but it's still an improvement over the blank wall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would make a good drunken sign along song, it was probably written that way

      Delete
  3. Interesting post. Seems like Patricia was unfairly treated. This is such a mega song, the royalties must have been HUGE!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope he treated his kids well, they were a nice bunch,

      Delete
  4. Your co-worker Patricia is a resilient woman, even without the royalties. Lucille is a good drunken song. Maybe I missed this in a previous post, but are the numbers in your titles a countdown to retirement day?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Numbers, yes, explained in Wednesdays post,

      Delete
  5. I think Patricia IS Lucille and should have sued for some royalties.

    That said, the street art always makes me smile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know she asked for an adjustment in child support

      Delete
  6. I've always hated that whiny pity-party song.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a beautiful mural and I haven't heard that song in ages.

    ReplyDelete
  8. One of the saddest country songs ever.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You sure know some interesting people. I too like the mural

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have all met some fun people over the decades.

      Delete