Thursday, February 09, 2023

Thursday Ramble: People I have met on airplanes


I once sat next to a Senator, actually one of the two Senators from the state I was living in, a man I had voted against, we talked for nearly an hour before I figured out who he was.  He was convinced not to run for reelection, reportedly he also had a hard time figuring who he was most days and would go off on embarrassing rants. 

I sat next to a corporate hired gun one day.  He was a an outside consultant who fired executives for a living.  He said about half of the time they were relieved when he handed them a severance check and told them their services were no longer needed.  The other half of the time, well that was why they paid him so much to take the abuse.  

I sat next to a young man recently who sells something to the department of defense. We joked that if he told me anymore, he would have to kill me.  I live in a town where many people don't really talk about what they do.  I mentioned to him that I hoped to finish reading a book on that flight that I am writing a review of.  He looked at me and seriously asked, are you reading just a chapter or two, or the whole book.  He never reads whole books. 

A few years ago I sat next to a guy who was developing print on demand systems for books  I have bought books printed using this technology. 

A sat next to a guy one day that was developing software and sensors for self-driving car systems. He said the thing that haunted him was the logic for do you run over the baby stroller or the wheelchair, or the walker.  Someone needs to set the program for that.  He was looking for a new job so it wouldn't be him. 

I talked with a women one day who was responsible for all children's programing on American Public Television.  

So yes, I am the annoying person who talks to the person next to them on a plane.  I often start off with something simple, flying home, or flying out?  Everyone - well nearly everyone - is doing one or the other. Some people like to talk, some don't.  Only once or twice have I sat next to someone who didn't stop talking after a few minutes. 



12 comments:

  1. Do you see a clue of when someone does not want to talk?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You definitely do meet interesting people when flying. When I'm on a plane if I'm heavily veiled that means I'm not talking. If the veils off I'm open for discussion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have this vision of the Mildred hat with the black lace pulled down over your face,

      Delete
  3. Yes, I've heard of that dilemma about self-driving cars. Will make for some interesting lawsuits some day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've had some interesting conversations. I tend to keep to myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most times, the conversation ends before the plane takes off, then there is the person who just needs someone to listen.

      Delete
  5. Most times I am not up for chit-chat, but when I do get into a conversation, it's always something kinda fun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I sit next to Balder Half on planes. I get the window. He's asleep before take-off. I look out the window and think about that gremlin on the wing episode of Twilight Zone. I read. Yeah, I'm one helluva traveling companion!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I recall, you really don't like to fly. I could tell stories, but I won't make it worse.

      Delete
  7. I possibly sat next to each of those folks too.....but I'll never know. I try not strike up or get roped into plane conversations.

    ReplyDelete