Monday, February 13, 2023

Moody Monday : The Big Easy


My first visit to New Orleans was for the World's Fair in 1984.  We were there a couple of nights, spent a day at the Fair.  We took a horse drawn carriage tour, the guide pointed out Brennan's and said, it was the best place in town for breakfast. I had been here for two days, of mediocre food, I still have a tendency to find mediocre food in New Orleans(ghost of the past).  We went to Brennan's for breakfast our last morning in town.  It was one of the best meals of my life.  Expensive, you bet, worth every penny, definitely.  

I have been back there for five or six meetings and conferences over the past 20 years.  One of them, Jay and I spent eating our way through the city, it was an amazing experience.  

On one trip I stayed near the Superdome.  The Amtrak station was down the street.  Humming the folk song, The Spirit of New Orleans I walked down the the station.  The televisions were playing news reports of Notre Dame on fire.  Seeing the station brought that horrible day back, ghosts of the city. 

I have had some boring hotel rooms here.  The first stay back in 1984, was a Holiday Inn that is now a Wyndam.  The Hilton down on the River keeps putting me out the in the low rise, no view part of the hotel.  This stay was at the Sheraton on Canal Street, 29th floor, with a spectacular view.  Much better than the last time I was in the hotel, with a view of an abandoned bar.  


Over the past couple of years, I have learned more about a particular ancestor.  Learned that he was a privateer - a government sponsor pirate.  Part of his time was in New Orleans, where it is believed he did business with Jean Laffitte, I went in search of places Laffitte was known to have had business, knowing that I was likely retracing the steps of my ancestor 200+ years ago.  Ghosts of the past. 

Some of this trip was chasing ghosts, finding good, finding better, reconciling the past and the present, the ugly and the beautiful.  It was a grueling work schedule, but I feel good about the trip. 

Till next time, 


12 comments:

  1. I don't know why, but I've never had any desire to go to the New Orleans. When I head south next my two stops are going to be Charleston and Savannah.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charleston three times, Savannah probably a dozen times. It was an easy trip from Orlando, and a stop over when I was driving to Florida from here. Both are fun. Savannah is much more of a party town.

      Delete
  2. I am reminded of another song, Witch Queen of New Orleans was a line if not the title.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a town that inspires music

      Delete
  3. I’ve never been to New Orleans. SG was there for conferences a number of times. My ancestors had no connections with Jean Laffitte. Jean LaFoote and Cap’n Crunch, we knew well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Capt'n Crunch, may explain crunching noses into glass doors.

      Delete
  4. A privateer ancestor -- that's exciting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He led an interesting life, shipwrecked in Mexico at one point.

      Delete
  5. You had a great view! New Orleans is always an interesting place to visit. Stories abound.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been to New Orleans once, back in 1984. It was my first trip away from my 10 month old son so my head wasn't in the game to appreciate the city. We stayed at a hotel on Bourbon Street and our room faced Bourbon Street. Safe to say, sleep was hard to come by. I would like to go back. It's a one-of-a-kind destination.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can only imagine trying to sleep, overlooking bourbon street.

      Delete