Wednesday, February 15, 2023

The Wednesday Ws : 7th edition


What have I been up to? Work mostly, I returned home from New Orleans on Tuesday, and I am leaving on Thursday for a family function. In between I am editing a manuscript for Harvard Medical publishing, reviewing a website for UC-San Francisco, getting office work caught up.  Over the weekend, the farmers market, annual car inspections and laundry. 

Who have I seen? My sweet bear and the staff at the office, some LGBTQ friends at a Super Bowl Gathering. 

What was the pleasant surprise? I returned home a few hours early, and we went out to dinner that evening. Thompsons Italian recently opened on King Street in old town Alexandria. Fresh and innovative would be good adjectives.  I had a roast pear salad with fresh local redicio, and gnocchi in a stewed chicken sauce that could best be described as an Italian American Thanksgiving dinner in a bowl.  Stopping in was an impulse, we were headed to the schnitzel house.   

Who deserves an atta boy? The gallery in New Orleans that posted photo welcome signs. I have been screamed at and run out for taking photos.  Taking a photo is not going to stop me from buying, it is usually the price or where would I put it, that stops me from buying.  

Was it a big surprise? Spy balloons, were not a big surprise.  Sometime in the past couple of years I had a conversation with someone and mentioned that more countries around the world have satellites, or want to have them, and the person said you don't need that, all you need is helium and a strong balloon. I think those that needed to know, knew.  One that was visible to the public uncovered what was known and unknown.  It is amazing what you can hear in this town, if you listen.  

What was the best meal in New Orleans? Probably the grilled shrimp and sausage at Mr. B's Bistro.  

What did I see? A Mardi Gras Parade, photos, at least those that are least adult, will appear on Fat Tuesday. 

What did I do on my weekend?  I have had a few recent weekends when I was not home, last weekend I was.  I took my car to have a headlight replaced and have it's annual safety inspection and bi-annual emissions inspection.  Then went online and renewed the registration for two years.  I changed the print cartridges in my printer/scanner/copier - my blues are back to being blue not orange.  I did a couple of weeks of laundry.    

When am I thinking about retiring? This topic came up a couple of times in the past couple of weeks.  The ED/COO is leaving the end of this month, I went to a going away party for him. I love his comment, of better to leave when you are all saying how much you are going to miss me, rather then finally.  My boss wishes I would hang around a few years longer.  I haven't schedule any blog posts that far out, but I am getting closer.  

What am I eating? As I write this toasted bread with a locally made camembert cheese that is creamy, runny, lucious.  It is a little expensive, but oh so good. I knew when I picked this one up, and it was soft, that it would be wonderful.  Maybe that should have been a fabulous Friday. 

What am I reading? Not enough. 

What have I been pondering? I learned photography back in the days of film speeds, shutter speeds, aperture, focus.  When we consolidated houses I parted with all of the books on the fundamentals.  I have been thinking how this has changed, but with a real camera the techniques still apply.  Photography is really recording light and shadows, composition, depth of field.  The things I learned all of those years still help me take a better photo, maybe even one worthy of someone wanting to take a photo of.  

What next? Family - Joanii says she will fly in - I hope so - she is so much fun.  


 

10 comments:

  1. I can only remember seeing one 'no photography' sign, in Penang, Malaysia inside a church. The sign was so discreet, I did not see it until we were leaving and I had taken many photos. Generally if you don't use a flash, you can get away with it.

    I think there is a real market for simple camera courses to learn how to use...well these days, get the best from a phone camera. Two or three one hour lessons would be enough for lazy people like me who can't be bothered learning how to do it myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The fundamentals of lighting, composition, are still the same.

      Delete
  2. Ah, yes, a super bowl “gathering”. So sophisticated. Enjoy the family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I heard recently on TV that film cameras are making a comeback, like vinyl records have made a comeback. Hipsters!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Older film cameras are selling for record high prices (maybe I should have kept a couple of them.) What buyers really want are the mechanical cameras, with manual exposure and focus. Built in meters from the heyday of film are problematic in that the meters fail, and no one makes the mercury filled batteries that they use. I still have an external exposure meter (a really good one.) Pentax recently announced that they intend to sell a new 35mm SLR, it would be the first one offered in a decade or so.

      Delete
  4. It's getting harder and harder to do the "No Photography" thing with cameras on ever phone.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha! I wish I read a fraction of your 'not enough' rate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I finished book #6, #7 is more fun

      Delete