Saturday, February 18, 2023

The Saturday Morning Post: Street Music







Preservation Hall In New Orleans 

There are handful of music cities in the United States.  New York, Los Angeles, Nashville, Memphis, and New Orleans.  At one time Detroit and Motown sound would have been on the list, but Motown is long gone and rock is recorded in New York or LA. 

New Orleans is famous for Jazz, and a certain sound. I found Preservation Hall, and music was playing - for a private function that I didn't have an invitation to. 

What really struck me was the street music.  Mostly soloists, singer, songwriter, musician.  The guy at the top was a one man band, playing amazing percussion with his feet. I like music that you can hear, a strong narrative and words you can understand.  There was lots of that to be found in my walk around the French Quarter.  I found myself stopping to listen for a few minutes.  I can hope that some of these talented musicians find commercial success, or maybe they do it because they love doing it as much as I loved hearing them.     
 

11 comments:

  1. I see (hear) a lot of talent on the streets, not so much lately in Fuengirola.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Malaga, along the water front, and down near the roman theater. Great memories.

      Delete
  2. Good musical buskers really add to street life. I hope some people were dropping some cash. I still carry a small amount of cash to donate to good performers or very young kids giving it a go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. The guy playing the drums with his feet was amazing

      Delete
  4. I could almost hear the music as I was reading.

    ReplyDelete
  5. N.O. is one of the few places I know where I appreciate the street musicians.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sound like a wonderful thing to experience.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete