Saturday, February 11, 2023

The Saturday Morning Post: On Blogging


It is Saturday, what are my plans for the day? I start my mornings with coffee and reading and commenting on blogs. Following that unless the weather is crappy, I will head down to the farmers market.  Then I will return home and settle into draft blog posts.  Today I need to really plan ahead, because of upcoming travel plans.

Most of my blog posts are written on Saturdays, more specifically most are written on Saturday mornings.  I prefer to write these on my desktop computer at home, a full size screen, a full size keyboard (that is getting dirty) and access to my archive of tens of thousands of images.  

I can blog from my phone, or Ipad, or Chromebook, but the big machine is easiest and offers the best support for me.  I seldom create posts when I am away from home, though I find myself increasingly doing so. 

Barring an emergency, every post has at least one photo. Most often only one.  I try to create three of four short paragraphs of relatively coherent text.  The more I write, the easier and I hope better my writing is.  

Photos can be problematic when I am not home.  My real camera does not download photos until I plug it into a computer. I have had a couple of cameras with wifi, or bluetooth connections, and found them to be not quite reliable.  Photos from my phone sometimes back up to the cloud in real time, sometimes they don't.  Photos from travel frequently do not appear until I am home. 

My commitment to posting daily, and that is a deeply personal commitment of mine, leads to me creating posts before they are needed. I find it difficult to find time on a daily basis to write, so my blogging is done mostly on the weekends. How far ahead, I have already started drafting my reading list post that will appear December 28th of this year.  

I love what I am doing, and I do it in a little different way than most.  I wonder, if in retirement, I will blog each day, making this more of a daily recap.  


15 comments:

  1. I may write a post that does not get posted for weeks later, but it is never dated for publication and nearly always needs 'fixing up'. Most of my posts are written the day or night before, but some come from bare bones written earlier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am wondering if this will become daily when other obligations go away

      Delete
  2. Most of my blogs are done same day. Every so often, I prepare something in advance but I usually end up adding a story on what I walked into (or lopped off) the day of posting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Be careful about the lopping off, there are only so many parts

      Delete
  3. I'm with Mitchell, most of my posts are written the night before and very very seldom have I ever wrote more than one post to be scheduled for like say a week like you do. So if I go on vacation the blog usually is dark for as long as I'm gone. Of course when I'm my vacation everything shuts off. I'm lucky if I even get on the internet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Going dark when I am traveling, would break my daily streak, since 2016 (I missed one day in 2015.)

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Gotta keep track of the reading

      Delete
  5. I kinda do both; some things can be done ahead of time, but others are done the night before or the day.
    I have nothing planned for December 28th as of right now, though. 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I started keeping track of books I read, and that draft post is the easiest way for me to organize it.

      Delete
  6. I only blog from my desktop computer too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have done a few recently from my laptop, but much prefer a real computer

      Delete
  7. I blog ahead when I'm going to be away just in case I can't blog from the road. My iPhone is very good at updating photos to the cloud as soon as Wifi is available so that isn't a problem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I blog on the road, new photos are phone photos.

      Delete
  8. I also start my day with coffee. I blog at different time.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete