Wednesday, November 23, 2022

Wednesday W's: Thanksgiving Edition


Where have I been?  Philadelphia to have lunch with Professor Higgs, her teaching career started at the same time and place as my Sweet Bear's. 

Who am I seeing?  My sister will be here for Thanksgiving. I haven't seen her since her husband's funeral in September.  

What am I cooking?  Turkey, stuffing, roast brussel sprouts, I try to keep it a meal of celebration, not a festival of gluttony. And I will cut into this years 100-proof fruitcake. 

What am I reading? Surrender, by Bono.  A biography, coming of age at about the same time I did. 

Where am I going? A work / pleasure trip to Arizona in late January. I will see a couple of bloggers/friends and spend a couple of hours presenting some of my favorite material.  

What was I asked about? My boss cornered me and asked for answers about my remarks about plans to retire.   I promised to give 90 notice and start mentoring a replacement.  

Who am I thinking about? My dear sister, she had to make the agonizing decision to have Blitz the Wonder Dog euthanized.  He had gotten to the point that he had to be helped to his feet, and was falling often because of joint deterioration. 

What am I spending money on? I have agreed to buy a garage parking space from the person we have been renting from.  Now I agreed to do this three years ago and she decided not to sell.  More money for a garage parking space than my parents ever paid for a house.   

Who deserves and ata-boy!  The condo shuttle bus driver. The condo provides shuttle bus service to and from the local subway station.  Our train was late on Friday night, and we had just missed her last pick up at the station.  She saw me walking towards home, stopped along the way and waited for us, saving us a 10 minute walk in the cold at the end of a very long day.  

What is on top of my mind? My mind is always a messy place to go. There is a bunch of end of the year work to do, we have a December adventure to work around, the administrative side of work has sucked a lot of the joy out of work, I need to find the joy, restore the sense of mission.  Working on it, I am working on it.  

What exciting adventure might be on the horizon? There are possible plans afoot for three days work in Hawaii next summer, and a promise of not making it a forced march through paradise this time.  I need to get some work done on that this week.  



 

 

13 comments:

  1. 100 Proof fruit cake? I suggest getting everything done that day before you have it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love some 100-proof fruit cake. So glad you're sister is joining you for Thanksgiving. So awful to have to say good-bye to her loved pet so soon after losing her husband. Wishing her a much better year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm, how fussy is Spain about bringing in food?

      Delete
    2. There’s no ban on fruit cake, but please don't. Besides we CAN get it here all over the place... just, I'm sure, not as delicious as yours.

      Delete
  3. 100 proof cake sounds enticing to me. I don't like brussel sprouts, well I didn't until I ate them Asian style. The parking space sounds complicated. Is there much pleasuring to be had in Arizona?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spo and Sharon are there, and I have a soft spot for the landscape, the politics are another story.

      Delete
  4. I'll take 100 proof without the fruitcake????
    That shuttle driver is an angel.
    We are entering that phase with our dog Ozzo, who is losing his sight. We've made no decision yet, but that day is coming.
    Having lived in Hawaii I am slightly jealous. It's been years since I've been back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have 100 proof without the fruitcake.

      Delete
  5. So sorry to hear about your sister's loss. She has had a lot to deal with in a few short months. I hope she enjoys her visit with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been a rough year for her.

      Delete
  6. Bono's book sounds interesting. I saw him interviewed about it on TV a couple of weeks ago.

    ReplyDelete
  7. we had brussel sprouts too, something I loathed in my youth now I want them.

    ReplyDelete