Thursday, November 24, 2022

Thursday Thankful Ramble


For my readers in the United States, Happy Thanksgiving.  

We are the lucky ones with so much to be thankful for. 

If you are reading this, you have access to electricity and the internet, you are one of the most fortunate in the world. Not that life doesn't exist without those, but being able to turn the switch and the lights go on and off is a marvel.  Access to the internet gives us instant access to the shared knowledge, wisdom and entertainment of the world.  It is like having a library, a theater and a concert hall in the palm of your hand.  In my lifetime I never dreamed it would be this instant and portable.  

If you can read this, you can do something that 13% of the world's population can't do.  If it is not in your language, Google has a free and instant solution to that. 

I am thankful that I am over nourished, most of us are.  The world produces enough to feed the population, we suffer from distribution failures that leave many among us without. 

I am thankful that I have instant access to drinkable water, water that is unlikely to kill me.  An estimated 10% of the world's population lacks access to safe drinking water, including some here in the United States.  

I am thankful that I am loved, and there are people I love.  Human connection is hardwired into our psyche, we are lucky to have it.  

I am thankful to live where I do. As imperfect as our government can be, it is the envy of many in the world, and I can make it better, I can vote.  

We have a community of Bloggers, people to connect with.  

I am thankful that I can walk, I live in a place with good health care, and I have good insurance, or I wouldn't be able to.  (See May and June of 2015 if you want the gory details.) 

I am thankful each morning, when I awake, and the sun rises, and I have a fresh start. Statistically 150,000 people worldwide will not see tomorrow. 

In a way, everyday should be Thanksgiving Day.  We get busy and we forget how much we have to be thankful for.  Try to find a moment today, between family and food, parades and football, to think about how thankful we are to be a part of this adventure for another day.  


13 comments:

  1. It’s good to be thankful. Wishing you a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is that the spirit of Thanksgiving? It sounds good to me. As you would know we don't really know about Thanksgiving, even whether it has a capital T or not, but it sounds like a good and peaceful time with family and friends and be thankful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is what it should be about,

      Delete
  3. Yes, we should be thankful. We in the privileged West are the Marie Antoinettes of the entire world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Make every day , a day of thanks,

      Delete
  4. We certainly do have a lot to be thankful for. Thanks for reminding me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your right...there is much to be thankful for, even the little things we take for granted. Happy Thanksgiving to you both!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Essentially it is all litte things

      Delete
  6. Great post! Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am thankful to have you and The Hamster in my life.

    ReplyDelete