Thursday, November 10, 2022

Thursday Ramble: Fleeting Moments



Autumn, and trees in color, usually lasts a month so here in northern Virginia.  A little less if there is a hard freeze, or a heavy rainstorm, a little longer if the weather remains mild.  It is an amazingly pretty time of the year here, and it passes in the blink of an eye.  

I lived in Florida for several years before I learned to see the change of seasons in the landscape.  There were fewer deciduous trees, but there were a few.  The evergreen trees, that included live oaks, changed in color from season to season, brighter green in the spring, deep olive green in the summer, a more brownish green in the fall, and a blackish green in winter. The differences were subtle, and fleeting.  The grasses, and flowers also changed with the weather. There are four distinct seasons in Florida, you have to be aware of the signs. Those who live there and never notice, have never really lived there, they have occupied controlled space hiding from the real place they are in.  Even the beach changes from season to season, not just changes in the surf temperature, but changes in what washes up on the beach, changes in the color and texture of the sand underfoot.  Spring is when you see alligators up on the bank, sunning themself out of the cooler water.   

There have been a lot of clear days recently, days to put the top down, turn the music up and drive slowly.  Days to get away and go for an afternoon walk.  I need to do more than that, these days are fleeting. Before I know it will be cold and dark outside.  And I will be holding out hope for spring.  

Time flies when life is happening, a little fun along the way, but in the blink of an eye the seasons pass.  

8 comments:

  1. One of these yearsn during the season, I’ll head into the northern climes of Spain (or the higher altitudes) to see what fall colors look like here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I age winter seems to hang around longer but I like seeing leafless trees and I wouldn't like to live where there aren't dramatic seasonal changes. Late summer here after little rain can often see deciduous trees looking so tired and welcoming the relief of their winter rest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So true. I remember my dad telling me how time flies by as you get older. I now see what he meant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A friend described it as being like a roll of toilet paper turning faster as it nears the core.

      Delete
  4. Spring, summer and autumn are so fleeting. Yet winter seems to drag on and hang on FOREVER.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I look forward to the longer days of sunshine

      Delete