Wednesday, November 02, 2022

Wednesday W's - Boston Edition


Where have I been?  Boston for a conference with a little free time to explore in glorious autumn weather. 

What have I been up to?  Mostly work, I did take a few walks, a dental cleaning, taking lots of photos (almost 1,000 this month,) grocery shopping.  

What made me happy this week? The weather in Boston was delightful, clear and dry, cool, but not cold.  And I received news of funding on a project that I had been warned was being cut by $41,000, and the cut was only $11,000.  

What made me grateful this week?  The incredible generosity of donors supporting my office's work.  Thank you! And it is not too late, the site remains open through the end of this week https://www.justgiving.com/campaign/ABA-COLA2022. 

Who frustrated me this week?  Someone who reacted, rather than responding to a challenge - a loss for all sides. 

What am I reading? The Quiet Art of Influence, by Jocelyn Davis. Notbad, more eastern philosophy than I would prefer.   

What am I watching?  YouTube, Foxes Afloat are back posing weekly. 

Who deserves an atta boy?  Delta Airlines, we were spontaneously upgraded to Comfort Plus on the return trip.  No explanation was offered, none was asked for. It was my fifth flight on Delta in 5 weeks.  

Who have I been talking with?  Thursday and Friday were hobnobbing with my fellow wizards, mostly older attorneys. A couple of people I might be able to collaborate with. A nice dinner Friday evening with an old grad-school friend of J's and her husband, a retired commercial photographer. 

What was my great realization this week?  In retirement, I need to have a plan for getting out of the house every day.  

What was the good news over the past couple of weeks? The Condo association put in electric car charging points.  There had been debate about them for a few years, and we finally have them.  While we were Canada a new national law went into effect banning the sale or transfer of handguns.  If you own, you can keep it, but you can't buy one, sell one, or give one away. It is time to realize that many more people are shot by criminals than crimes prevented by someone having a handgun.  And almost all gun crimes, are committed with handguns.  

What have I been eating?  Some good italian food, and seafood.  Legal Seafoods Test Kitchen in Boston Logan airport is good, worth the rather high price. 

What surprised me?  Sleeping 10+ hours Friday night.  I am usually up early, I slept until 8:40 AM.  

Where to next?  We are home for a few weeks.  Then Philly to have lunch with an old friend who is coming from British Columbia for a conference, that is just a day trip.  




  

10 comments:

  1. Exciting news from the Foxes this week with them visiting the old boat and perhaps commandeering the vessel.

    You are well ahead of our building with car charging. One block nearby has made it possible but while the body corporate paid for the set up, it is up to owners to pay for their individual power outlet.

    Well done to Canada with the ban. Hand guns for personal use is quite absurd. I ponder if say someone was confronted by a thief in their own home and they felt their physical safety at risk, could they actually shoot the invader? If a loved one or an innocent was being attacked, I think most people would shoot but otherwise?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The car chargers are in the outside parking lot, the users will pay by credit card. Running power for individual chargers in the private parking in the garages would be rather expensive. This is a good solution.

      Delete
  2. I miss Boston. A great city, and where I came out and met SG.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was the first time I had decent weather in Boston and a little free time.

      Delete
  3. Good on Canada, shame on America.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We need to explode the myth of a "good guy with a gun" very seldom is tragedy avoided that way, and handguns are the weapon of choice for fun crimes.

      Delete
  4. A daily walk to take photos will get you out of the house in retirement, just like Mitchell!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to remember that, and make it a part of my day. I did in 2020-2021 but have fallen out of practice now that I am back in the office a couple of days a week.

      Delete
  5. You have lots going on! Good for Canada. It seems most countries are smarter than us when comes to guns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We keep making it easier for everyone to commit an atrocity.

      Delete