Thursday, November 03, 2022

Thursday Ramble : Travel Makes It To Harvard






Travel Penguin and I finally made it to Harvard.  I had tried once before, planning and organizing only to be foiled by nasty weather, 38 degrees (F) and pissing down rain. This time it was clear skies, comfortably cool, and an easy ride on the T (subway.) There is something about the place, part of it is the reputation of being a center of knowledge, research, teaching and learning.  But deeper than that it is a setting that is calm and reflective.  Most modern college campuses have all of the charm of an office park - they are places you want to get into - do the work you have to do - and get out (walk to work and run away from it.) Harvard feels like a place you want to set and read, and think, and talk, and live (come sit a spell.) And people do live there.  The residence halls are mixed into the campus, not pushed off the periferia of the campus in hopes that the students will disappear into the town, but giving a feel that they might congregate among on the University grounds, and join in understanding and learning. It is an old fashioned model that makes me very comfortable. 

Growing up I never even dreamed of attending Harvard or anyplace like it.  My mother finished high school during World War II with a graduating class of about 12, she had the most education of anyone in my immediate family.  College was not really talked about.  Most of the people I knew who had college degrees were school teachers, and even back 50 years ago they were so poorly paid that they rented houses and apartments from the local butcher or funeral director (fortunately in my small town, those two were not the same person.) There were conversations about people going off to college to major in partying and "chasing skirts," only to end up as school teachers struggling to pay the bills.  

When I finished high school, my parents suggested I try the local community college in Florida, I couldn't figure out why, and didn't.  After a couple of years of working, I started to realize what I was missing, and that if I ever wanted to get ahead, I needed to get more education.  I also came the realization that if I worked at it, I could do almost anything.  I started at a community college that I was driving by everyday on my way to and from the office.   

After a couple of years, I needed to transfer to finish a real degree and I looked around.  One of the options was a small private liberal arts college that was kind of based on the Harvard model.  To some extent Rollins College was where the sons and daughters of Harvard Alumni who were not sharp enough to get into the Ivy League schools went.  Though less regimented in layout, the campus had that colony of learning feel.  I worked, went to college part time, and spent the better part of 10 years finishing a four year degree.  It was paid for when I finished, and I paid for it. 

Then there was a pause, and an opportunity for law school, and I seized it. 

Looking back at it, coming from where I came from, with my life experience at the time, a place like Harvard would have probably eaten me alive.  I would have been culturally unprepared.  Today, I would thrive in that environment.  

I am so glad I finally had the opportunity to visit Harvard, oh and Penguins are great scholars and always dressed in their finest feathers.   


10 comments:

  1. Proof it's never too late to join the Ivy League.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here some Aboriginal children who are used to a local extended family life in isolated or small town community are offered scholarships to reasonably prestigious city religious boarding schools, a very long way from their home and very different to the life they know. Most do well enough but not all. Some quickly return home to family and some linger and suffer. While I am not a fan of private religious schools, I cannot criticise them for lack of effort and care on their part for such students.

    It's a bit similar to how you would have felt if planted into Harvard at a young age. Well me too. It was thought provoking post and now you have been to Harvard. You can add that to your CV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Each of us needs the path in life that works for us,

      Delete
  3. At one time in my life, I would have loved to have had the privileged opportunity to attend Harvard. Or Oxford or Cambridge. Or any "name" university. A pleasant fantasy, that was all. But I made the most out of my University of Manitoba degrees, LOL! "Grow where you're planted," as they say.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I selected Rollins as the best option that would work, the University of Louisville as the best law school that would accept me, that was within driving distance of where I was living. And I agree, make the most of the opportunities available.

      Delete
  4. Walking around that campus must have been a special pleasure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great story! You have quite the journey through your education. You worked hard, made us of the opportunities that were there for you, and now have an appreciation for how it got you to where you are. My mom's graduating class was 12 people, too. Small town, rural Illinois.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found my mother's class ring, on my final visit to my parents home before turning it over the estate sale people.

      Delete