Monday, November 21, 2022

Monday Mourning - Not Again


Another mass murder in an LGBTQ gathering place, Colorado Springs this time.

Immediately people are saying we have a mental health problem. The rest of the world has mental health needs also, but the rest of the world very rarely has a mass murder with guns.  Yes we need to improve access to mental health care, but we also need to address the elephant in the room. 

In the United States we have a gun problem.

There are too many guns, guns are too easy to get, people who are suffering or angry find it too easy grab a gun and murder others.  

This mass GUN murder is personal, as a gay man I feel a connection with those gathered in a nightclub that welcomes LGBTQ patrons.  There was a time in my life, when I spent two or three evenings a month in places like this. Connecting with others who accepted me for who I am. Doing so should not place me at risk.  A gathering in a synagogue should not place people at risk, a prayer group in a Charleston Church should not place people at risk. EASY ACCESS TO GUNS PLACES ALL OF US AT RISK. 

More people are killed by a bad guy with a gun, then bad guys are stopped by a good guy with a gun. A good guy with a gun is a myth.  

I was unable to find what kind of a gun was used in Colorado, but that really does not matter, the gun was too easily available, because overall guns are too easily available. 

Realistically, most handguns are only designed for one thing, MURDER.  (Yes they have a limited use in controlling rats, and scaring off bears, but there are not that many bears.) 

A political climate that promotes hate to motivate voters, makes it sound okay to strike out against those who are different.  The hate mongers have blood on their hands.  Congress failing to address gun violence have blood on their hands.  

I tried and I can't find the right YouTube video for this post. 

19 comments:

  1. As with so many other issues in the US, we are ignoring many problems and issues, this being one of them. I've long said we ignore those with metal health issues, and many get swept under the carpet and not helped or delt with. When I was working in the floral shop downtown for my friend, I was amazed how many came in the shop that "were off". I was never worried, but thought to myself in hindsight, What would have happened if they all of a sudden snapped?

    The two parties will never address the gun issue. Why should they when they, when many are in the pockets of gun and NRA lobbyist?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We need for the campaign against gun violence to have as much power in the voting booth as the NRA.

      Delete
  2. And then there’s Laurent Boebert writing: “This lawless violence needs to end and end quickly.” How do you spell hypocrite?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sad, very sad, how did she get elected?

      Delete
    2. Literally by a hair on her chin. She barely squeaked out a win.

      Delete
  3. "A good guy with a gun is a myth."

    Indeed the 'good guys' in Uvalde waited in the halls.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Guns, hate and terrorism are a deadly mix.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I couldn't agree more. The pro-gun argument made by politicians makes no sense at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Time for other views to be heard

      Delete
  6. The mentality of some Americans about their right to bear arms never fails to astonish me….I understand where it come from …I will never understand how people adhere to it in modern times

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If my father had claimed his British Passport, I could.

      Delete
  7. They don't let blind people drive a car. But a serious mentally ill person can get a firearm.
    I don't get it.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Common sense is sometimes not very common

      Delete
  8. I am so tired of turning on the TV in the morning - for the weather report - but the first thing is how many people got shot the night before.

    ReplyDelete