Tuesday, November 22, 2022

Travel Tuesday: Thanksgiving Week

 

I don't miss traveling over the holidays.  We have done a lot of it.  Florida for my family, Cleveland for Jay's family.  It eased a little after Jay's mother died.  I settled into a pattern of going to Florida for Thanksgiving, it was not a good time for Jay to travel when he was teaching.  I would fly down, rent a car for a week. A few times he went with me for Christmas, then we settled into my going to Florida for Thanksgiving and staying home for Christmas.  That was in part sparked by an offhand remark from my mother that I came for Christmas but I didn't stay long.  That year we were running from airport to airport trying to see my family, his family and go to a professional conference in San Francisco. The next year we went to Paris for Christmas and made plans after that - that were less manic for us.  

After I moved to DC, I would drive to Florida for Thanksgiving, and he would come here for Christmas and New Years.  

Jay had two professional conferences that often happened around the holidays, the American Academy of Religion met around Thanksgiving, and the American Philological Association met just after New Years. If the conferences were in nice places, and the University had travel money, we went, Denver, San Diego, San Francisco, Chicago, Philadelphia, New Orleans, and DC.  

This year we are home for the holidays, with a little adventure in between the two.   

11 comments:

  1. Nice to be home for the holidays. Not a pleasant time to have to travel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I admit its'fun to go away for the Thanksgiving holiday, but not every year. It's been several years since I traveled for the holidays, well anything over an hour. And it helps now I don't have to worry about the crazy Black Friday hours either, the day after, to get the store visually ready.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try not to travel on or very near the holidays.

      Delete
  3. We usually have a group of friends in for Thanksgiving and keep Christmas a "just the two of us" holiday. I like it like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My sister is coming in for Thanksgiving this year.

      Delete
  4. I have a sister not far away but I prefer to celebrate with my friends so I visit my sister at other times and stay at home for the holidays.
    I have however, gone to London for the week of Thanksgiving twice in the past. It was chilly, especially for someone who lives in the desert but it was fun. London is dressed for the holidays and it's fun to see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We went to Paris for Christmas one year

      Delete
  5. I sure as hell don't miss travelling at Christmas either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will be staying close to home

      Delete
  6. After our last trip to CT for Thanksgiving, we realized we are done going places for any holiday. We would much rather stay home and enjoy the peace and quiet. (But visitors will always be welcome!)

    Sassybear

    https://idleeyesandadormy.com/

    ReplyDelete