Wednesday, October 12, 2022

Wednesday W's - We Made It


What have I been up to? Mostly work, with occasional weekends. I realized Friday evening, that I hadn't left the house since I came home on Tuesday evening, working from home tends to keep me home too much.  

What have I been reading? "Talking to Crazy" and a book that purports to explain theories of philosophy in a page or two each.  I haven't take a philosophy class,  maybe I should. 

What has pleased me? Cooler autumnal weather,  Saturday morning it was 53 degrees F, and bright and clear.  I put the top down on the little car when I went to the farmers market.  

What have I been cooking?  I baked my holiday fruitcake, one large 3-pounder.  I made ham and bean soup on a recent cool rainy day. I have made a couple of apple tarts. I am very much enjoying the new kitchen.  I still have not mastered the upper oven.  

Where am I going? Montreal and Boston later this month, both are work, but to great places.  I will report on the adventures. 

What are my longer term plans?  All of the reservations are in place for going to Spain in December.  We will see Mitchell and hopefully meet the Saint.  

What have I seen? A Bald Eagle on my way home from the farmers market last Saturday.  I always want to stop and point, and shout a the passing drivers to look up and see what is around them.  

Who deserves an atta-boy? My colleagues in the office, I recently led my first major board meeting, and my colleagues helped me do virtual brainstorming, something we had read about but not seen done.  It worked. 

Who deserves a slap? Once again I am in a forgiving mood, be kind to others. Well there was the driver ahead of me leaving the parking garage, that if they drove any slower, they would have been parked. Maybe they were driving to the best of their ability, benefit of the doubt, no slaps. 

What surprised me?  I rode to the funeral with my two nephews.  At the cemetary one of them was describing who was buried there, and he didn't identify the marker for his great grandparents.  They were such a part of my life, it is hard to think that in a couple of generations, their identity and connection is forgotten.  Makes me glad I searched out great grandparents final resting places - well half of them, I have no idea where my mother's grandparents are.  

What worries me? A couple of friends who seem to be struggling with depression, and seem to lack a support system.  

What should I do? Should I invite family for Thanksgiving? I don't know if they would come, and travel would be a hardship, but I think about it.  

What craziness are we considering? My Sweet Bear's family holds a winter picnic in Cleveland Ohio, we went once, we are seriously thinking about going this year, in February.  Cleveland in February, we must be crazy.  

 

15 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cleveland in February... For a picnic... What a concept.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suspect alcohol was involved when this was dreamed up

      Delete
    2. That is quite likely.

      Delete
  3. A winter picnic? Sounds like fun! Or at least a unique experience!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Please be aware, gentle readers, that the picnic is indoors in a park system lodge with a massive fireplace. We might be Slovaks from Cleveland, but we're not crazy enough to hold it outside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OK. NOW I get it! That actually sounds like fun. And I do love Cleveland... and have been there in February.

      Delete
    2. It tends to be icy and cold

      Delete
  5. Like the above commenters, go to the picnic in Cleveland! A few years ago we drove through Death Valley in the summer...just sayin'...

    ReplyDelete
  6. A winter picnic sounded like a good idea until you mentioned Cleveland. Then I read the description above. I say go!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I need to heed the advice about the slow drivers. I sometimes get pissy and horn-honky and should realize that a little slower isn't a bad thing.

    I'm glad the "picnic" was explained because sitting around in the cold and snow and rain doesn't sound all that fun. But indoors? With a fireplace? Okay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to rent a 4-wheel drive for that weekend,

      Delete