Thursday, October 27, 2022

Thursday Ramble: Professional Conferences

I can remember the first few professional conferences I attended, scouring through the agenda and parsing out every minute, scurrying from session to session, wondering who I might meet, what I might learn.  And at first there was much to learn.  Actually at my first conference I went in early to attend a pre-conference intensive, that was entirely filled with political speculation about a possible change in the law, that 23 years later change still has not happened.  I felt cheated, my time and my money, and all I got was political speculation.  

As time went on, my office policy changed my behaviour at conferences.  If I was speaking, they would always find money for me to attend, if I was not speaking, I could get maybe one conference a year.  And I loved traveling, so I started putting in proposals to speak.  I have long been comfortable speaking.  I learned that in teaching I learned more than I did as an attendee.  At first I would max out the number of speaking opportunities, scurrying like a rat from session to session stressing out.  Then I figured out that one or two sessions, had the same impact as five.  

I found that the sessions I attended were often the same speakers, sometimes the same materials as the year before.  After a while I had heard all of their jokes.  And conferences were in nice places. I started slipping out and seeing the sights.  By skipping a couple of sessions in an afternoon and I could make a visit to a Smithsonian museum, or go touch the Liberty Bell (yes I did with permission from the ranger on duty.)  

So I progressed to going to conferences, focussing on the session I was speaking at, and seeing a little of this and a little of that. A little networking, often the conversations in the hallway are more important than what is said in the meeting room.  The location of the conference, became as important as the agenda.  

And so it has developed, I go, speak, spend as little time as is needed to network or put in an appearance, and maybe listen to a speaker or two that really interest me, and spend time in the venue.  Just a walk around the block can make a huge difference in understanding a place.  

Actually the best professional conferences to attend, are your partner or spouses.  I have been to a dozen of them, and classists sometimes have conferences in amazing places.  Then your days are free to explore, to see, to do.  I spent the better part of a week "In College" at Oxford, while sweetie bear was off hobnobbing with his fellow wizards, and I was free to explore the Oxford campus, complete with conference credentials the backstage pass to one of the worlds great Universities. Oh and there was the tea party with the Archbishop. I kind of miss those days.  These days he is going with me to my conferences.  Along with a sweet little flightless bird, who put in an appearance last week at the Montreal Congress (convention center.)  

 

https://www.justgiving.com/campaign/ABA-COLA2022   

10 comments:

  1. Business travel has the potential for introducing us to great new places.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been some amazing places.

      Delete
  2. The most valuable thing I learned at professional conferences was how terrible many people are at giving presentations -- often master classes in what NOT to do both with the oral presentation and the power points. And every once in awhile, there would be a superb presenter -- concise, relevant, entertaining and with a kick-ass power point. What a joy they were!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One this afternoon who was good, but too long

      Delete
  3. I have been told I am good at public speaking but it terrifies me to do so, even after i get started I feel sick. But I guess I mask it pretty well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS Carlos spoke at World AIDS Day at the state capitol a few years ago and his eyesight was already on the decline so one of the other speakers helped him to the podium where he said:
      "I may be losing my sight, but I haven't lost my vision."
      I cried like a baby at that!

      Delete
    2. One well delivered line, is all it takes,

      Delete
  4. I'm really jealous of your Oxford experience. I've been to Oxford but just for the day. I would love to spend some time there, tour some colleges and just soak it all in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They host a 100 conferences in the summer

      Delete
  5. I still enjoy going to my conferences as it is usually about new stuff.

    ReplyDelete