Saturday, October 29, 2022

The Saturday Morning Post: On Getting Older


Getting old is a pleasure denied to far too many. 

Ron in Delaware used to use the phrase, "more yesterdays than tomorrows."  Yes, I have reached that point in life.  There are a few adventures I want to enjoy, that I know I need to do sooner rather than later.  Google tells me that the average life expectancy for an male in the United States is 76.1, there is a 50% chance that I only have 12 years left to do everything I want to do.  Actually having lived this long, the internet tells me I can expect to live another 18.65 years.  That would put me in my early 80's, about as good as I can expect.  

I am enjoying being old. I have less hair, if I keep it cut, it is easier to tend to, less to fuss over. There are a few aches and pains, a little less flexibility than there was decades ago.  That gives me a great excuse to slow down, the pause for a rest, to not bend over to pick something up.  

I have no qualms about claiming the seats reserved for older and disabled passengers on the subway train.  Though I will get up and move if someone with greater needs boards.  Standing for my 30 minute ride would not be good.  I stay seated until the train stops, getting up or down when the train is starting or stopping puts me at greater risk of tumbling off me feet.  Safety first.  

I claim the "senior" discount on museum admissions, then turn around and make a donation.  

A friend posted on FB that he went to a high school football game recently and the person in the ticket booth asked "Senior?" and he responded 46 years ago. He did he math for her, yes he is old enough for the reduced price ticket.   

I see too many people who live as though they are going to live forever. Putting off until never what they really want to do today.  

I recently had a spell of not feeling well, it was something that passed quickly, but I had a moment when I thought, this could be the last day, and my mind went to the thought, if this was the last day, what would I want to do?  Probably not what I was doing. 

Retirement is on my mind.  From a rational perspective, I am at my earnings peak, I am at the helm and setting the course at work.  I should stay for a few more years.  There was a time when I would have said, you will find me decomposing at my desk someday.  But that time has passed. When I think of the balance between work and personal life, I am getting to the time in life when I need to spend time on me. There are things I want to do, that I can't do in the office.  Time to get them done.  I want to be in a position that when I think "oh this might be the last day." I think, this is exactly how I want to spend it.  

15 comments:

  1. Drama queen feels unwell and thinks it might be his last day on earth. I am amused. You really must do things while you can, or while your older partner can, and overseas travel becomes especially difficult, especially for us with long distances to fly. Some may believe in a better place after death or reincarnation but I am pretty confident that this is all there is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sometimes doubt that I will make a couple of the longer trips on my wish list.

      Delete
  2. I love your friend's response to “Senior?” I had two friends who died in a fire at the summer camp when we were 12, then a cousin who was hit by a car and died at the age of 14. Too many more young good-byes to make me think this wasn't a crap shoot. I don't put off the important things (nor, for better or worse, did I do a great job saving for a distant future).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No one really knows how long the fun will last

      Delete
  3. I rarely think about getting older, because I'm childish like that, but agree you have to keep yourself interested and amused and active, especially the brain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sometimes doubt I was ever a child. I have seen the photos, but I don't think it lasted long.

      Delete
  4. Well having just turned 51 last week, I still can't believe it...but as long as I don't act, or look my age all is good. I think your handling yourself very well and the way you should.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't die in harness like an old work horse. Retirement is a wonderful reward which we all deserve and should enjoy for as long as possible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think dying in a harness sounds kinda hot.....

      Delete
  6. When AARP started sending me messages to join up when I turned 50, I was a bit offended but these days, I enjoy the benefits that age gives me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have the right and sensible approach to age and retirement; I hope it is all you wish it to be.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never had issues with growing older. And we ALL know how I dream about retirement....

    Sassybear
    https://idleeyesandadormy.com/

    ReplyDelete