Tuesday, February 15, 2022

Travel Tuesday - Trains


Train travel in the USA can be a challenge, the trains tend to be slow, the equipment is often old. There are limited routes; away from the upper east coast and California, service is very limited.  

BUT! 

The people are nice and the price can be very attractive.  

I recently booked tickets to go to New York later this spring, made hotel reservations, went to email someone special that we had made plans and realized I had train tickets to go up on a Monday, and hotel reservations starting on Tuesday.  I didn't want to add a hotel night, so I endeavoured to change the train tickets. 

I should be able to do it online, but the reservations computer was running so slow that I kept getting kicked out.  I called, argued with the automated system that couldn't understand the difference between my saying "D" and "E", finally I was sent onto a human being.  

And She was SO NICE and HELPFUL.  She encountered the same slow reservations system, but she could stay on until she was able to make the change.  She kept coming on and saying I am making progress, please hang on, I am sorry the system is running slow for some reason.  In the end the Tuesday train was the same price as the Monday train, no charge for the change (try that with airlines.) And round trip was $88 per person. If I drove to New York, I couldn't park my car for four days for that, it might cost that much per day to park.*  On this end the train station is a mile from home.  In New York, you arrive in the heart of Manhattan.  The airports in NY are an hour from where you want to be.   


*The first time I was in San Francisco, I scored a deal on a nice hotel for like $99 for one night, and paid $60 to park a rental car three blocks away.  I have never driven in SF again. 

16 comments:

  1. So glad you got the train change worked out. (This special person can’t wait to see you.) The last time we had a rental car in NYC, we got a deal at our hotel and paid “only” $45 a night for parking. The rental car was $1,500. And that’s why we no longer rent a car in NYC. I LOVE train travel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I rented a car the first time I went to London, driving on the left, shifting with my left hand, and driving around lost in the heart of the city, the things memories are made of.

      Delete
    2. I have never driven on the wrong side of the road, legally. And I probably never will. Just the thought of it makes my stomach do a flip.

      Delete
    3. I still don't talk about driving in Ireland, oh my

      Delete
  2. I really should look into train travel to NYC from Camden. I'd really like to go by train.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We always train to NYC (from update NY) and I love it. My bucket list train item is to take an overnight train trip and have my own sleep space.

    Sassybear
    www.idleeyesandadormy.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, and I'm so jealous you guys are meeting up.

    Sassybear
    www.idleeyesandadormy.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We will have to come to upstate some day, I have a board member near Albany who has an office in the city he hasn't been to in two years

      Delete
  5. That arrival in the city is a great benefit. That hour long taxi from one of the airports is a pain...and expensive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never gone to NYC by air, changed planes there, but not to go to the city

      Delete
  6. Train service in Canada is very spotty these days. Inter-city bus service is getting bad too. We are a nation of cars now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are some legendary cross country trains in Canada

      Delete
  7. Anonymous2/15/2022

    With the exception of your train to NYC, trains are slow in the US, but gee, there are some really great trips to be had. The latest I watched was travelling south in New England mid autumn to Albany. Just stunning scenery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did DC to Boston one fall, north of NYC along the water was stunning.

      Delete