Wednesday, February 16, 2022

The Way We Were Wednesday - Open Water Swimming


I  had a flashback moment recently.  The CBS Sunday Morning Show did a feature on thSouth End Rowing Club  in San Francisco.  I have seen the club, watched people swimming in the bay. They do open water swimming in San Francisco Bay.  So part of the flashback was I have seen Aquatic Park, and that club, but deeper, the real flash back for me was 32 years ago, at the peak of my fitness, I did open water swimming in the Atlantic Ocean, along the coast of Florida.  

I would go out probably 100 yards from shore, and swim parallel to the shore.  I was swimming a lot, 2-3 hours a week of laps in a pool. I learned to stay afloat as a child, I seriously learned to swim so I could compete in two seasons of Sprint Series TriAthlons, with swims up to half a mile.  I recall swimming as much as half a mile, parallel to the coast in open water. It is peaceful, powerful, relaxing.  It is surprisingly fast. Wonderful memories. 

12 comments:

  1. I love water... and the ocean, and go in to my hips. I'm not the best swimmer, let alone in the ocean.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous2/16/2022

    They look like savage seas. We'll all be drown'd.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. And, as SG would say, sharks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love to swim, but open water makes me a little nervous. And San Francisco Bay would so cccccccold!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am a functional swimmer (self taught) and love the water, pools, and the ocean, but when my galeophobia kicks in, I have to stay far away from the tide on dry land.

    Sassybear
    www.idleeyesandadormy.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really learned to swim in my late 20s

      Delete
  6. I've splashed in the surf a couple of times!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I prefer when the water is about 82 degrees

      Delete