Saturday, February 19, 2022

Saturday Morning Post - Life in Washington DC


When I first moved in Washington DC, my office was so close to the White House, that I signed a release for my information to be shared with White House security.  We were inside the exclusion zone for inaugurations, as in the Secret Service locked our building and told us when we could return after the inauguration. The office moved a few blocks away a few years ago.   

12 years ago there was a construction fence very much like this, in front of the west wing, the area of the executive offices. The official answer was it was underground utilities work, that took about three years and several hundred thousands of cubic yards of concrete.  When the new bunker was finished, there was a discrete announcement that the second half would be started in a couple of years.  

I was in the office recently and took a nice lunch time walk.  I hadn't spent much time around the White House over the past five years, for four of those the sight of the building often caused spewing of obscenities, and for a couple of years it was surrounded by a fortress, to keep people in or keep people out I am not sure which, but it looked like a prison. 

The iron fence is taller than it was before, a painful need, we have had a few people jump the fence and run for the door.  The new construction fence, I suspect is going to be there for a couple of years - and lots of concrete will be involved.  

A few years ago, one of former President Ford's daughters mentioned that the secret service would sneak here in and out for dates, through a long tunnel that emerged in a vault in the basement of a bank a few blocks away, the tunnel had been there since the 1860's.  Several truckloads of concrete were sent out immediately.  The bank building has finally been remodeled.  (It was not the building my office was in it was a couple of blocks farther away.) 

It is nice to be able to walk to the White House and feel comfortable again.  

14 comments:

  1. My fears say enjoy it while you can.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn’t get myself to go anywhere near the place during my visit in the Drumpf years. But it has changed so much since I was a kid and we actually stood under the portico.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would not try that today without a background check,

      Delete
  3. Beautiful photo, by the way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. new phone, pretty day, and you can get right up to the fence now that prison has been dismantled

      Delete
  4. I understand your refusal to walk by it while Thing 45 stunk up the joint.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actively avoided it, then there was the last couple of years with the prison fence around it.

      Delete
  5. I understand exactly how you felt. I didn't travel to DC for exactly the same reason. I had no desire to be in the same city as....you know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He who must not be named, and his criminal kids

      Delete
  6. That's an awesome photo you took!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wonder which way it will go

    ReplyDelete