Tuesday, February 08, 2022

Travel Tuesday - I am being tracked


I am not paranoid, I am being tracked and here is the evidence.  This starts in about 2013 or 2014, and is shockingly accurate.  If I zoom into the details, it sometimes knows what room I am in, in some buildings.  

I might be tracked by some nameless, government entity, but probably not.  But if I can find this, so can they. I am tracked by my phone.  I get this report from Google, updated monthly, with an annual report that includes everything they know about where I have been. At some point in setting up something I apparently clicked the magic button to get a copy of the report. 

I can't remember the last time I went someplace that I didn't want anyone to know I was going, maybe back in the days of adult bookstores.  But if I want to not be followed, I could just turn off my phone, or leave it at home (I don't always turn it on, often leave home without it.) 

I am not worried about others knowing.  I assume that customs and immigration has tracked my passport.  That TSA keeps a record of all of my airlines flights.  If they haven't, what are we spending all of that money for? 

It is kind of fun to look back at the record of where I have been.  I really wish it went back to the mid 1960's a few years when my family traveled a lot.  

If I am ever lost, Google can find me, or at least find my phone. Assuming the phone is turned on.  Even with the phone in airplane mode, Google can tell you where it is, trust me on that one, we found the phone, eventually wedged next to the seat of a rental car in Iceland. Airplane mode blocked the call, so we couldn't hear it ring, but Google kept telling me I was on top of the phone. When I moved the car, the phone moved.  

You are probably being tracked also.  Apple has that wonderful find my device service.  

    

18 comments:

  1. Makes one wonder how anyone can go missing anymore with such technology. It blows my mind, now it hurts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I leave my phone home, or turned off, . . .

      Delete
  2. It’s amazing, isn’t it. I recently put a Steps app on my phone and got reports on the days BEFORE I had the Steps app on my phone. That was just a little surprising. I then removed the Steps app from my phone because I was interested in the miles I’d covered and the app was under-reporting. I knew THAT from Google maps. But it’s good to know (well, no it’s not really) my steps are being tracked whether or not I ask.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never used a fitness tracker, a lot of people do

      Delete
  3. Anonymous2/08/2022

    I received my map history yesterday. I only started leaving location on a couple of years ago and so I am constantly tracked now. Sometimes I am surprised and have to try to remember why I went to a certain place. At other times, I am surprised that there isn't a record of a place I did go. It can't tell me whether I am driving in car or in a tram on the same street and is often unsure if I am on a train or in a car if the line is close to the road. It will only get a whole lot better in the future, or more invasive if you like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was noticing that it sometimes skips how I went from A to B

      Delete
  4. I thought it was the vaccine that was going to be microchipped so our movements could be tracked and now you say my phone is the enemy???

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. I am more amazed than bothered by it

      Delete
  6. This is why I laughed at the people who said the vaccine was implanting a chip in people to track them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This made my head hurt. Just as I was getting used to walking around Alexa nekkid, too! Back to the old drawing board.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alexa watches me in the kitchen, what was I wearing when I turned the coffee on this morning?

      Delete
    2. That bitch scares me! I think she's bored with my lack of clothing in the kitchen, and my repeated requests for Pentatonix, Home Free and Voice Play music. She's being petulant because I won't listen to her dad jokes, either. She may try to kill me.

      Delete
    3. Remember Hal in 2001, sorry I can't do that

      Delete
  8. I regularly watch a series on how to turn off the nasty tracking devices in our phones.
    If you would like a consultation I will help out.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The days of any privacy are long gone my friend. No one one can hide anything from everyone any more.

    Sassybear
    www.idleeyesandadormy.com

    ReplyDelete